PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day!!!!!!!!!

Boris
04-05-2004, 12:56 PM
I know it's too early to spot any trends but I'll do it anyways.

Everyone keeps talking about how tough the AL East is this year and how the Damn Yanks and Sox will be indestructible. I don't think so. The bottom teams in the East are tough and will give the division contenders hell.

The Wild Card will come out of the West. Basically this means that my Oakland A's will see another post season. The only tough teams in this division are the A's and the Angels. Seattle had no heart and is old. The Rangers will suck as usual although they do have a couple of promising young players.

andyfox
04-05-2004, 01:38 PM
I watched the Boston/Baltimore game last night. Without Nomar in the game, Baltimore's line-up was more impressive. But their number 2 thru 5 starters have won a grand total of ten big league games.

I got a kick out of the L.A. papers this morning trumpeting the arrival of Milton Bradley as the Dodgers's savior. The man hit ten home runs last year and has never played more than 110 games in a season.

The Yankees lost three pitchers who won 52 games last year. That's a lot of games, and innings, to make up. Brown looked good in his first game, and Vasquez appears to be a budding star. But Mussina is no youngster and might be on the way down and the other starters are questionable. They'll probably make the play-offs again, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Gamblor
04-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Milton Bradley is the devil.

I heard a story (it might have been in SI), basically, he is so obnoxious and loudmouthed, that his teammates hate his guts. Last year, one went so far as to post an anonymous sign on his locker in the clubhouse that read:

"Shut the fuck up and play"

Perhaps he should concentrate more on the newest version of Monopoly.

namknils
04-05-2004, 02:43 PM
What a great day!

Here's my prediction: The Cubs will live up to the expectations that all their fans have for them.

It's great here in Chicago, the Cubs are all over the news, everyone with high hopes. Now it's finally time to begin, and go out and play for real. Go Cubs!

Zeno
04-05-2004, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Wild Card will come out of the West. Basically this means that my Oakland A's will see another post season. The only tough teams in this division are the A's and the Angels. Seattle had no heart and is old.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your style. But to start things off, I do not see much in Oakland. What do they have; a few players will occasionally dribble a ball passed the second baseman, but that is about it; a few outfielders will, by chance, stick a glove under a fly ball or trip into a grounder by sheer accident or luck; one or two of the pitchers will, if the stars and planets are lined up properly, get a limp fastball near the strike zone or send a sinker bouncing close enough to the plate that a dimwitted batter may, perhaps, give a half-hearted swing; but that is about it. The Oakland A’s are doomed to be a cellar team for the entire season, they will stay in front of the Rangers but that will be the Rangers doing, not the A’s.

Now the Mariners – that is a different story - Nothing but power, poise, and potential. What’s this slinging of ‘old’ onto the field of play in reference to Seattle. Experience is the key to wining baseball games.

Let’s get some games under our collective belts and then start talks about money possibly exchanging hands.

-Zeno

Boris
04-05-2004, 04:20 PM
One question: who would you bet on in a 50 yard dash, Sam Grizzle or Edgar Martinez?

ApolloQuiet
04-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Everything went according to plan today. Alou and Patterson hit well, Wood pitched an outstanding 5 innings, Big Joe closed it out. Great start to a hopefully great season.

Boris
04-05-2004, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't say Wood pitched an outsanding 5 innings. He gave up 4 runs and threw nearly 100 pitches. although he did get one guy to swing at a fastball that was probably 6 feet above the plate. that was pretty cool.

ApolloQuiet
04-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Bah, we'll take it.

bugstud
04-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Carlos Beltran is my hero

ThaSaltCracka
04-05-2004, 06:58 PM
most people are saying the wildcard will come out of the west. I think this is true simply because the east has a lot of good teams this year so they will beat each other up all season long. Now the west is another story. Oakland is weak!!! Did you hear me???? WEAK!!! Their offense is so anemic. They are putting all their hope upon Chavez, who is not better offensivley than Tejada, although he is very good, and Jermaine Dye. Jermaine Dye????? are you kidding me??? he is garbage and so is the rest of their offense, and defense. The only bright spot on their entire team is three starting pitchers. Their bullpen sucks too. I am sorry but Rhodes got lit up last year in Seattle. He will not fill the void left behind with the departure of Foulke.

Now on to Anaheim. The only real big addition is Guerrero, who is the fuckin man, he will do well. However the other additions of Colon and Escobar, eh don't expect much from them. Colon didn't even do all that good last year in pitcher friendly comiskey, also consider the AL Central was weak last year as well. Escobar.... Escobar... ask Toronto fans what they think of him. I dunno, Colon may be better(he is talented), but don't expect much from their pitching staff either. But I still think the M's and the Angels will be fighting all year long. Both of these teams are the best in the west.

I guarantee it, A's do not make the playoffs this year.

Boris
04-05-2004, 07:26 PM
You are a lunatic. Have you looked at the Angel's outfield? Vladimer Geurrero, Garret Anderson and Jose Guillen. Vlad and Garret are two of the best hitters in baseball. Anderson would surely have an MVP award by now if he played for the Yankees or the Red Sox. Guillen has above average power and has an absolute cannon for an arm. The only question mark for the Angels is their starting pitching. It will not be as good as projected.

You are also wrong about the Oakland starting pitching. They have a solid 5 man rotation. Rhodes is a question mark but we have lots of young pitchers waiting for a chance.

Now, about Seattle. Who is on that team? I think Moyer and Martinez qualify for Social Security benefits this year. Freddy Garcia is, well, not exactly dependable. Besides, the Seattle team has no heart. They might be close until September. Then they will wilt. Oakland has heart but they are kind of stupid on offense.

Zeno
04-05-2004, 08:05 PM
We are getting off to a great start!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I love your 'You are a lunatic' line. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They have a solid 5 man rotation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am forced to agree with you on this - In fact one of the best in the AL. But no matter- the geriatric Mariners will crush the A's like a sledgehammer does a beer can. Your team will be devastated and never recover and limp through the entire season like the wannabes they are. You don't want to make the playoffs again do you? What for, so the A's can hang themselves from the nearest bridge. Wake up Boris. You’re backing the wrong horse.

Oakland and Seattle hook up April 9-11 in the foggy, drizzly, and lackluster Bay Area. Best just forfeit the games now and save yourself the agony of watching them. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Zeno

ThaSaltCracka
04-05-2004, 08:10 PM
okay, Anaheims outfield. One thing definitely stand out, Offense, no arguments from me there. Now as for the rest of their lineup, the only other potential offensive production will come from a healthy Glaus, which is a big if. The rest of the lineup is weak and you know it. Three big bats will not win it for them. BTW, Guillen is not as good as you think he is. 5 team in 3 years.......

Now, Oaklands starting pitching. You claim a solid 5 man rotation???? Lily is not good, Harden is unproven. Don't make big predictions for them. If they win 20 games combined, I would be surprised. They may have lots of your arms, but they have no leadership in the pen. Those young arms will get rocked, because everyone in the league can hit a fastball.

The fact that Moyer and Martinez can still it get it done at their age is remarkable. You can't write a team of based upon two players. Even though those two players are proven to win and produce. Now the M's were the only team to start the same five pitchers last year. Their rotation gets better every year. Plus their pen is solid. Hasegawa, Guardado, Soriano... watch out. They also filled several holes in the lineup. Now, not to the degree that they added someone like Guerrero, but Spiezio, Ibanez, and Aurillia, are all capable players. Their lineup is nice.

Like I said, it will be anaheim and seattle fighting it out. Oakland will be weak.

andyfox
04-05-2004, 08:26 PM
I listened a bit to the Dodger game on radio on the way home from work today (don't tell my rabbi), and Vin Scully said he had had a tough upbringing, accounting for his tough times as an adult. FWIW . . .

bugstud
04-05-2004, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, Oaklands starting pitching. You claim a solid 5 man rotation???? Lily is not good, Harden is unproven. Don't make big predictions for them. If they win 20 games combined, I would be surprised. They may have lots of your arms, but they have no leadership in the pen. Those young arms will get rocked, because everyone in the league can hit a fastball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duuuuuuuuuude. Lilly isn't on the team anymore. Rotation is Mulder Zito Hudson Redman Harden. Frankly, I like Zito the least of the group. I honestly think Oakland will have a run of the mill offense, stellar starters and a higher end bullpen. Rhodes is a beast, last year while injured being the aberration. I give them a very good shot of winning the division. Whether or not they get the wildcard if they fall short remains to be seen...I'll let you know at the ASB.

This from a roto-junkie Cubs fan, so take it for whatever you deem it to be worth.

Boris
04-05-2004, 10:12 PM
you will probably win the April Series. But expect the tears to flow freely in the beers of Seattle come September 27-30.

Boris
04-06-2004, 01:54 AM
Locker room attitude is over rated. What a player does on the field matters most. Look how awesome the trailblazers are since they traded Rasheed and Bonzi. lol. If Bradley produces on the field no one will really give a rat's ass about his behaviour.