PDA

View Full Version : Best Fast Food Burger?

Jezebel
04-05-2004, 12:28 PM
I just had a hamburger from Hardees for the first time in several years. Clearly they are putting out the best burgers of any fast food chain, period. Not that there is a point to this post, but DAMN that was a good burger /images/graemlins/grin.gif

andyfox
04-05-2004, 12:35 PM
My son raves about Wendy's. So I went with him. It tasted like burnt sawdust. Burger King's taste like mush.

I like Carl's a bit.

elwoodblues
04-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Square hamburgers are morally wrong.

Oski
04-05-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Square hamburgers are morally wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

But not as bad as Catsup on a hotdog.

JTrout
04-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Wendy's is the only burger I won't eat. McD's is second worst.

The best:
In and Out
Backyard Burger
Whattaburger
Hardee's

OK
Sonic
BurgerKing

Have not tried Carl's.

If you're down south, little country gas station's often have the best. The Pure Station down the road beats 'em all!

JTrout (experienced fast food eater).

Gamblor
04-05-2004, 12:53 PM
If you're referring to "Ketchup", then yes.

Hot dogs are best with mustard, onions, and a tiny hint of relish.

If you're ever on Hwy. 11, heading north from Toronto up to Lake Simcoe/Muskoka cottage country, stop by Webers.

I guarantee you'll never have a better burger.

To put it in perspective, the only Webers location is quite literally on the side of the highway, about an hour and a half outside Toronto. There is no other significant building for miles. The lines often snake around the building and up the recently shipped bridge from the CN Tower, that overpasses the highway, built to serve the hundreds that would run across the 4-lane highway. The restaurant is only a few hundred square feet, but serves so much meat that they bought an old VIA rail train car to store the beef.

<ul type="square">
EYE: If life is a highway, Webers makes the burgers (http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_09.09.93/foodanddrink/fo0909.htm)
The Globe and Mail: Senior Weber would say "Well Done" (http://globeandmail.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040312/TREINHART12/TPNational/Canada)
[/list]

blackaces13
04-05-2004, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wendy's is the only burger I won't eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you mad? Wendy's kicks so much ass.

Boris
04-05-2004, 01:04 PM
You must have been smoking marijuana. Hardee's is the absolute worst. The only reason I ever ate there was because it was 2:30am and it was the only place open.

In-n-Out is pretty good stuff.

Oski
04-05-2004, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best:
In and Out
Backyard Burger
Whattaburger
Hardee's

OK
Sonic
BurgerKing

Have not tried Carl's.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am not mistaken, Hardee's has merged with Carl's. I saw a Hardee's in Penn. and everything was exactly the same as Carl's.

In n' Out: It is almost not fair to lump this in with the others, because there is no comparison. Maybe we can refine this poll do national/international chains, or something like that.

HDPM
04-05-2004, 01:10 PM
I am not a socal guy and don't get to eat them very often. But clearly In N Out burgers are the best fast food burgers.

JTrout
04-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Are you mad? Wendy's kicks so much ass.

I have a very strong stomach. I sprinkle Copenhagen on tomatos, I eat peanuts without shelling them. But...
if I dare to eat a Wendy's hamburger, it will tear me up.

Six_of_One
04-05-2004, 01:20 PM
The Guacamole Bacon $6 Burger from Carl's Jr. is definitely my favorite. I'm also a big fan of the Ultimate Cheeseburger from Jack-in-the-Box. In-n-Out is great, that goes without saying.

I'm more than a little disturbed by how much I know about this topic...

andyfox
04-05-2004, 01:23 PM
"Ketchup," I believe, is Heinz's brand of catsup. Maybe not though.

A baby tomato was lagging behind its mommma. The momma went back and stepped on him and said, "Ketchup!"

When I was a kid, there was a hamburger place in Forest Hills (New York, not Toronto) called Hamburger Train. The burger would come around the counter on a train and, boy, did I love that place. Greatest hamburgers and fries on the planet.

Twenty years later I went back. The place was still there. Worst food on the planet.

Sometimes we should let our childhood illusions rest undisturbed.

Best comment about hamburgers? Paul Newman, when he was younger, was asked if he fooled around, since he must get hit on a lot. He looked at Joanne Woodward sitting next to him and replied, "Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?"

andyfox
04-05-2004, 01:24 PM
A sacrilege, I agree.

Gamblor
04-05-2004, 01:26 PM
"Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?"

He never had a Webers./images/graemlins/grin.gif

My parents, who are fairly obnoxious in their food tastes (i.e. my dad won't eat anything that isn't my mom's cooking unless there's a suit/tuxedo involved), eat Webers burgers.

snakehead
04-05-2004, 01:59 PM
the best are only available in new mexico from a small chain called blake's lotaburger. after that, I likd whataburger, and then carls. in-n-out is ok if you like that goop they put on it, but they're real small.

bugstud
04-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Well, none of you live in areas with a culvers, so I pity you. The new Hardee's/CArl's/whatever burgers are pretty good, but in my experiences they take longer than a sitdown place to get.

M2d
04-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Cj's: Western Bacon Cheese burger is the nuts. what's not to like? bacon? yup. cheese? yup. BBQ sauce? yup. Onion ring? yup.

Wendy's: the 99 cent menu (which is 1.19 in downtown SF, my wife tells me) is the second nuts. Baked potato w/sour cream, chili, a soda, supply your own bacon bits (from the supermarket salad section), and you're out the door with a 3 dollar lunch. pour the chili in the potato, mix in the sour cream and bacon.

scotnt73
04-05-2004, 05:35 PM
fuddruckers

but in all fairness ive never tried in and out burgers or carls

lil'
04-05-2004, 05:41 PM
fuddruckers is pretty good...I haven't been there in ages...

squidbot
04-05-2004, 05:58 PM
If you live near Seattle and you haven't been to a Burgermaster you're missing out on burger nirvana. Yes I lived in California, and yes I've tried In'N'Out. They're McDonalds compared to Burgermaster!

WillMagic
04-05-2004, 06:05 PM
This shouldn't even be that hard.

It's obviously In-N-Out.

I mean, it's not even close folks. Hardee's/Carl's Jr. doesn't even come close.

Come on guys. You're better than this.

;-)

Will

banditbdl
04-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Fuddruckers is good, but it aint fast...

ThaSaltCracka
04-05-2004, 06:40 PM
tried fuddruckers once in SC, not too impressed
Hardees is indeed the same as Carl Jr.s
Burgermaster is indeed the bomb!!!!
never tries in-and-out /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
but for the pure value nothing beats the big cheeseburger at JB... .99!!!!!
BTW, Fatburger sucks!!!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

banditbdl
04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
I've always heard the In-and-Out burger is excellent, but I haven't been out West in quite some time and have yet to enjoy one. Here in Minnesota the best fast food burger bar none has to come from Culver's.

Ray Zee
04-05-2004, 06:56 PM
the fact that you all eat chain fast food shows you have no idea what something good is to begin with, so all your opinions are for naught.

squidbot
04-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Tell that to Julia Child /images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, [Julia Child] likes an occasional Big Mac and when it comes to fries, "I like Burger King better than McDonald's and I like the Whopper." She also orders pizza from fast-food outlets, "but only if the pizza is made fresh at the restaurant."

(from http://www.detnews.com/2000/food/0009/07/e01-116140.htm)

Six_of_One
04-05-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, Fatburger sucks!!!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Fatburger...can't believe I forgot to include it in my original post. The Kingburger with cheese and egg...makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Six_of_One
04-05-2004, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the fact that you all eat chain fast food shows you have no idea what something good is to begin with, so all your opinions are for naught.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need different foods for different occasions. If you're comparing quality, fast food obviously can't stand up to a really good steak...but there are times when big, greasy burgers can't be beat. Most of these times involve beer.

ThaSaltCracka
04-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Fatburger came to the NW about 3 years ago to much fanfair. I found it to be not only overpriced, but low in taste and quality. The fries were probably the worst part. Anyways there are better burgers up here than Fatburger, but most people opt for a different type of fast food around here..... TERIYAKI CHICKEN /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jdl22
04-05-2004, 08:29 PM
They may be only in the greater Portland area, but Burgerville has pretty good burgers. I rarely get them because I don't go to Portland much (even less now that I live in Pittsburgh).

andyfox
04-05-2004, 08:30 PM
The best part is flippin' off all the slow drivers on the way there. . .

Bill Murphy
04-05-2004, 08:43 PM

M2d
04-05-2004, 09:24 PM
As immortalized in the Sir Mix-a-Lot song "Posse on Broadway"? Went there once, during college, but was too drunk to remember details. seem to think it was good, but, again...the alcohol thing...anything would have tasted good that night.

Rushmore
04-05-2004, 09:40 PM

Ray Zee
04-05-2004, 11:00 PM
fudruckers is the answer. its the only chain that has the semblance of a real burger.

Zeno
04-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Good burgers can be had at Red Robin, a NW chain. Does not qualify as fast food, but they are top notch.

-Zeno

jdl22
04-05-2004, 11:55 PM
I'm with you on Red Robin. The bacon burger is excellent, as is the teriyaki in both chicken and beef.

My only problem with them is that they have a burger named after the Oregon country fair and I know they don't have a booth there.

Zeno
04-06-2004, 12:02 AM
That's right - In addition, I can't wait until I get my tank so I can blast and crush my way to the front of the driveup window line in record time to nab my worthless cheap greasy burger that will taste more like cardboard than meat. Road manners are for wimps. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I hope HDPM agrees with me on this one also. /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

TimTimSalabim
04-06-2004, 12:08 AM
No longer just a NW chain. There's one right here in lil' ol' Vegas. Well, Henderson anyway. And come to think of it, I've been to one in San Diego. And they are excellent. Love the bottomless fries.

jdl22
04-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Now that I think about it I went to one with my sister in DC.

HDPM
04-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Sorry, I hate the drive up window. Yeah, I use them sometimes, but usually I get out and go in. See, I hate getting stuck in one. They have concrete curbs and if you get behind a moron who orders for 300 people back at the office you are screwed. Or if something happens in the kitchen and it takes 20 minutes to get something you are stuck. So I go in because if there is a disaster brewing I can leave. Maybe a tank is the solution. So I suppose I agree. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ThaSaltCracka
04-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Dicks is decent, the fries are absurdly greasy though. It is one of the best places to go after drinking.

I was going to say Red Robin but I don't consider them fast food. They probably have the best burgers around.

Diplomat
04-06-2004, 01:32 AM
Actually, there is one at Pearson Airport as well, but I don't think it's as good.

-Diplomat

krazyace5
04-06-2004, 01:53 AM
Man, I don't think I could eat at Red Robin after reading this story.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/03/05/offbeat.fingertip.food.ap/index.html

ThaSaltCracka
04-06-2004, 02:00 AM
eh it doesn't bother me.

squidbot
04-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Oh the Teriyaki! My wife and I missed it soooo much when we moved to Boston, not a Teriyaki joint to be found. I'm glad we're back now among the truly cultured in the NW /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jdl22
04-06-2004, 02:08 AM
Eating more protein is all the rage these days. That story was mediocre until the last line [ QUOTE ]
Chambers said he spoke with the woman. "She obviously was pretty upset," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant stuff.

krazyace5
04-06-2004, 05:58 AM
Didn't even think of that, must be some kinda new atkins diet recipe. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

John Cole
04-06-2004, 07:51 AM
The key word is "fast." Total time from ordering to eating averages less than thirty seconds.

CCass
04-06-2004, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're ever on Hwy. 11, heading north from Toronto up to Lake Simcoe/Muskoka cottage country, stop by Webers.

I guarantee you'll never have a better burger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I must disagree. There is a little hole-in-the-wall joint in Tompkinsville, KY by the name of Dovey's. They deep fry their hamburgers. Nothing on this earth comes close to a Dovey's burger.

FWIW, you can order a burger squeezed or unsqueezed, but unsqueezed takes all of the fun out of it.

daryn
04-06-2004, 11:39 AM
i have to disagree with everyone so far!

by FAR the best burger is at &lt;&lt;insert local hamburger joint nobody knows about but me here&gt;&gt;

they &lt;&lt;insert unorthodox preparation of said burger&gt;&gt; the burgers and oh man are they good!! the best!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

elwoodblues
04-06-2004, 12:08 PM
I agree. Those are great.

DonWaade
04-06-2004, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fudruckers is the answer. its the only chain that has the semblance of a real burger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree, but I am not sure if they qualify as "fast food."

wm r the rake
04-06-2004, 12:39 PM
i have to say late night after a few rounds would have to go to White Castles.....those sliders are just like their name...they slide right threw you /images/graemlins/blush.gif

daryn
04-06-2004, 12:41 PM
i think ray had it right by saying fast food sucks. i haven't eaten at a fuddruckers in about 15 years, i don't even know where the closest one is anymore.. a lot have closed down. i can't wait to get out of college and hunt one down.

daryn
04-06-2004, 12:44 PM
wow, one visit to www.fuddruckers.com (http://www.fuddruckers.com) has me all excited to go to that joint. guacamole on a burger? oh baby!

jdl22
04-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Sorry Daryn but you're wrong. Not you're fault you haven't tried the burgers from &lt;&lt;insert local hamburger joint nobody has ever heard of&gt;&gt;

Not only do they &lt;&lt;insert unorthodox preparation method&gt;&gt; the burgers but they put &lt;&lt;insert obscure ingredient that would never occur to you to put on a hamburger that none the less sounds tasty&gt;&gt; on it.

Incidentally if this joint were in Pittsburgh the secret ingredient would be french fries. I don't understand it myself but give me more time I've "only" been here 8 months.

imported_Chuck Weinstock
04-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Steak n Shake (http://www.steaknshake.com)

I've been eating at SnS for years. About a year ago some friends and I did a road trip to Cheyenne and back from Chicago (via Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, and of course Illinois.) One of the three of us was a serious "Culver's" fan. The other two preferred Steak n Shake. We ate at more of each than I'd care to admit to. But after sampling the many products of both I can say unequivocally that SnS is orders of magnitude better than Culvers. (In fact, on the last day of the trip my friend and I dropped our other friend off at a Culvers before having our final lunch at the Steak n Shake across the street.) Not only is the food better at SnS, but they serve Coca Cola products while Culver's serves that slop they call Pepsi (see, I can start arguments as well.)

Steak n Shake was pretty much limited to the midwest (and along old US 41 down towards and into Florida.) However they have been expanding like everyone else. One day I was at a movie here in Pittsburgh at the Waterfront complex and afterwards took a drive to the other end of the complex. Lo and behold, unbeknownst to me, they had expanded into Pittsburgh. What a welcome surprise. A dream come true.

(Remind me to tell you about my Jay's Potato Chip dream someday.)

Chuck

jdl22
04-06-2004, 03:19 PM
There's one in Robinson accross from Ikea also.

It is pretty damn good.

Rushmore
04-06-2004, 04:04 PM
I feel that the poster was hoping for a discussion involving those fast-food burgers readily available to at least 90% of the people reading the post. I cannot see how posting that "Moishe and Herschel's Matzo Mayhem Burger Barn in Des Moines is the best burger ever" can be of any use to anyone.

So, I go on record as replying that I think the McDonald's plain cheeseburger is the nuts.

Rushmore
04-06-2004, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the fact that you all eat chain fast food shows you have no idea what something good is to begin with, so all your opinions are for naught

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first evidence that Noted Author Mr. Ray Zee and Noted Castle Owner Mr. Steven Punk are one and the same person.

Kinda makes you think a little, huh?

Phat Mack
04-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Is anybody else addicted to these? I opine, that to be made properly, the jalepenos have to be grilled, then placed under the cheese. At one time you could get such a burger at Whattaburger, but now they just dump the japs on top. Still probably the best of the chains, however. #2 chain JCB: maybe Sonic.

ThaSaltCracka
04-06-2004, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, I go on record as replying that I think the McDonald's plain cheeseburger is the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
if your talking mass availablity, no way McCheese is the best, they have the worst ones of all. The whooper is better, but I still think Jack in the Box makes the best.

WDC
04-06-2004, 05:34 PM
They're in Mpls are now also, but they do not qualify as fast. For fast, it's Culvers, and not justbecause they are just across the street from the card club.

imported_Chuck Weinstock
04-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Also on Rt. 51 near Century III.

blackaces13
04-06-2004, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO!!!

Six_of_One
04-06-2004, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also love the McDonald's plain cheeseburger...every once in a while they will go on sale for $0.39. Let me tell you, 5 or 6 of those things makes for a great dinner.

ThaSaltCracka
04-06-2004, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also love the McDonald's plain cheeseburger...every once in a while they will go on sale for $0.39.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is the only reason to buy them. Unfortunatley they are closer to a dollar, which is a huge waiste IMO.

Ray Zee
04-06-2004, 10:39 PM
six, you and rushmore prove my point. which was a joke anyway. but really the truth, jokingly, dont you think.

Rushmore
04-07-2004, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
six, you and rushmore prove my point. which was a joke anyway. but really the truth, jokingly, dont you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray, although the truth is clearly a joke in this case, it must truthfully be said that joking about the truth is, at best, a joke, don't you think?

Translation: I was making a point about the thread in general. I haven't eaten a McDonald's hamburger in 25 years, easy.

blackaces13
04-07-2004, 08:41 AM
I have to say that the plasticy cheese, 9:1 bread to meat ratio, hint of Ketchup, 2 pickles, and some chopped onions all come together in my mouth in such a way that really takes me back to my childhood. Sounds silly but I assure you I'm not kidding. Those burgers are the same now as they were 15 years ago and when I do happen to eat one nowadays, which is rare, it always takes me right back.

PS. If anyone from the McDonalds corporation would like to contact me about using my words in an ad PM me and I'm sure we can negotiate something fair. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oski
04-07-2004, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Those burgers are the same now as they were 15 years ago and when I do happen to eat one nowadays, which is rare, it always takes me right back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, those burgers are probably the SAME burgers from 15 years ago.

Six_of_One
04-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Hey, if eating fast food 6 days a week is wrong, I don't want to be right!!

(just kidding. I would love to be right, but I think there's crack in the burgers or something.)

astroglide
04-07-2004, 05:21 PM
i'm literally wearing an in-n-out tshirt right now. if they came to st. louis i'd eat fast food again.

Oski
04-07-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm literally wearing an in-n-out tshirt right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you are, uless you are wearing some other shirt that is meant to symbolize an in-n-out tshirt.

M2d
04-07-2004, 06:03 PM
back in college, we got the "in-n-out burger" bumper stickers and covered up the "b" and the "r". thought we were soooo cool.

Ulysses
04-07-2004, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
back in college, we got the "in-n-out burger" bumper stickers and covered up the "b" and the "r". thought we were soooo cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you now drive a Toyota where you've done something like remove the To and ta letters?