PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help!!!!

Firetrap
04-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Hi guys,

Bit of background first - been playing online(and only online) for 14 months at seven card stud. presently i am doing very well in games up to 6/12 and can hold my own at 10/20. The trouble i find with 7CS is that there is not as wide a choice of games compared to holdem......that and its a constant kick in the teeth /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have flirted with the idea of sitting myself down to learn holdem before, but have to be honest and say that i found it very boring. Maybe its becuase i recall my early days at low limit stud when i threw away about 90% of my hands.

This is by the by however as i am now determined to become good at this form of poker....even if it kills me.

i am a big fan of books and reading and have picked up 3 which i think will help me....

Theroy of Poker - read one cover to cover, breezed through it not really stopping to let it all sink in.

Winning Low Limit Holdem (Lee Jones) - read once cover to cover, same as above.

Play Poker like the pros (Phil Helmuth) - Only read the part on basic holdem strategy TOP TEN HANDS.....what do you lot think of this?

Also have wilson turbo holdem 5........find it dull though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Basically i want to be starting at 2/4 level - so are these the books i should be looking at? If they are, what order should i be reading them in? What are the books i should be thinking about after this....i have 7CS for advanced players(excellent book) is there a holdem eqivalent, and if so should i just cut to the chase?

sorry if these are questions you have answered again and again, i did have a look to see if i could find old posts.

Thamks for your time - Firetrap

Webster
04-05-2004, 07:11 AM
First thong you do is throw Play Poker like the pros (Phil Helmuth) into the trash. That is the 1st step to wnning Hold'm.

Winning Low Limit Holdem - for being so small is a great book for micro-games.

TTH5.0 is will give you enough info to be a winner and yes - it's boring but it gives you the basic. If you can beat Challange Mike more then 1/2 the time your ready to play online.

lostinthought
04-05-2004, 09:52 AM
I would suggest three things -

1) trash the hellmuth book... or use it as a coaster.. or to start a fire

2) buy hold em poker, and hold em poker for advanced players.. (and the 2+2 low limit book when it comes out)

3) if you are interested in playing online, start at the party poker .5/1, and build your way up (moving up when you have 300 BB), just like must of us..

btw - if you are interested, I just recently started over at .5/1 with $150.. here's the link to my blog

www.livejournal/users/510offsuit

good luck

mackthefork
04-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Read Super System it's not definitive but you will learn a lot from this book, everyone should own a copy.

astroglide
04-05-2004, 11:35 AM
so he can learn to play non-aggressive, 25 year-old limit holdem with a single blind?

deacsoft
04-05-2004, 12:40 PM
For a solid post about reading books and not trashing any of them check out an old post of mine... To read or not to read.
And here's a short list of must read books...
-Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee jones
-Hold'em Poker fo Advanced Players by Sklansky and Malmuth
-Theory of Poker by Sklansky and Malmuth
-Caro's Book of Poker Tells by Mike Caro (if playing live games at all but still mildly suggested even if you don't)
-and I can't leave out the endless source of information that is the internet and namely the forums right here at 2+2.

If you plan on getting in to it hardcore I suggest reading nearly every book you can find. Check out the post to see why.

LetsRock
04-05-2004, 01:12 PM
I learned "serious" poker skills with 7 stud. Holdem is anything but boring compared to "proper" 7 stud strategies. It is a very different game which can be intimidating at first (it really sucks when the card that halps you, helps your opponent even more!), but once you get into it, you'll find that it's actually easier to play well (ie winning)than 7 stud.

As you may have guessed, Helmuth's book is not popular among most of the posters here. I think it's good to read to see how many of your opponents are playing, but you probably shouldn't use his suggested style for your own play.

Lee's book is very highly recommended for low limit poker. (I haven't read it myself)

IMO, Brunson's book is not real helpful for limit poker. He has some great thoughts on NL, but I think you have to have a lot of Dolly's natural reading skills to implement his methods.

TOP and HEPFAP are great reads and a must for any serious player. HEPFAP doesn't really apply to the low limit games, but will really make you think about stuff.

Caro's Book of Tells is really not helpful for online play, but essential for B&M play.

Playing against computers is really not a great learning tool. I don't have TT so it may be a little better, but IMO, once you have the basics of the game figured out and have some understanding of odds and the stuf to watch out for, playing vs. live opponents where real money is on the line is the best way to learn. You'll find a lot of plyers who play low (micro) stakes just like it is "play money" (any 2 cards and lots of stupid bluffing), but once you get up to 2/4, most of the players represent what you can expect the competition to be like for the next few levels which is pretty weak (any A, any K, any suited, any connectors/gapped and will overplay most of their hands).

Gamblor
04-05-2004, 02:54 PM
TOP is Sklansky only.

They only collaborated on HPFAP and SCSFAP, which also included Ray Zor (oops, Ray Zee).

Firetrap
04-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Thank you very much for your time and input lads.

I think that i will read the Lee Jones book and the TOP simultaneously - that way i can improve my 7cs play as well while i learn to get proficient at holdem. Later i will get the advanced player book.

Reading through the phil helmuth book i was unsure of the advice in there, so i'll take ur advice and ditch it.....anyone what to buy it off me?? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

i am never scared to asked questions or for help so expect to see a few more posts from me.

thanks again - bye

Thanks again guys

LetsRock
04-05-2004, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reading through the phil helmuth book i was unsure of the advice in there, so i'll take ur advice and ditch it.....anyone what to buy it off me??

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the book, but don't follow his advice. You'll quickly spot Helmuth clones at the tables and know what to expect from them. It does help to know what author a player favors and Helmuth's style is real easy to spot.

SinCityGuy
04-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Firetrap,

My advice would be to throw Hellmuth's book into the trash heap, where it belongs. He is an outstanding no-limit player, but his book will get you killed playing limit. He gives a lot of poor advice, like raising any Axs under the gun, and cold-calling a raise with KQo.

I would highly recommend Holdem for Advanced Players by Sklansky and Malmuth, and Middle Limit Holdem by Bob Ciaffone and Jim Brier. The latter is a great read, because it is filled with numerous instructive examples of actual hands that were played, with the author giving his insight as to the correct play.