PDA

View Full Version : Two pair facing heavy action...

chesspain
04-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Paradise 10+1...blinds are still 5/10, and I begin the hand with T980, and receive Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif in the BB. Seven players call, the SB completes, and I check. The flop comes:

Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, I bet T100, and I get seven callers (!). The pot now contains T790.

[Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out T95, UTG raises to T190, folded to MP who calls, LP raises all-in to T495, folded back to me and I raise all-in for another T775, UTG folds, but MP calls for T680.

How well or how poorly did I play this?

Results below in white:

<font color="white">MP had Js 3d for a pair and a busted OESD,
LP has Qh 9c for a flopped, lower two-pair,

and my triple-up win on this hand gave me a nice tailwind towards my eventual second place finish! </font>

NotMitch
04-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Not sure I like the play after the flop. What was the bet of T95 on the for?

VarlosZ
04-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Why are you betting so small on the flop and (especially) the turn?

If you're willing to play this hand for all of your chips, then bet big, because that's just about the scariest drawing board imaginable. Overbet the pot, make it apparent to all the flush and straight draws that their presence is not welcome (nor, for them, profitable), and hope someone has exactly what LP had, which is likely given the board and the number of opponents.

On the other hand, given the board and the number of opponents, it's likely that someone flopped the straight, and deciding to fold to any big bet wouldn't be unreasonable at this stage of the tourney.

Girazze
04-05-2004, 01:50 AM
Seems like that T95 bet was a scared bet. You had a great hand but didn't have faith in it. This, I believe, is what prompted the others to bet so big.

ThaSaltCracka
04-05-2004, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How well or how poorly did I play this?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno, but your opponents played terribly, damn /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ben
04-05-2004, 02:51 AM
I think a good rule to follow when you're the aggressor is to bet more on the turn than you did on the flop. Dropping your bet-size shows weakness and I think prompted people to play at you...

-Ben