PDA

View Full Version : Lesson to everyone about slow playing sets on the flop

Kevin
04-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+2 3-bets, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (19 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 bets, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, Hero raises, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+2 3-bets, MP1 folds, Hero caps, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (22.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 bets, Hero raises, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 28.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 6c 6s (three of a kind, sixes).
UTG+2 shows Kh Kd (three of a kind, kings).
Hero shows Jd Ah (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 28.50 BB. </font>

Limp Reraise meant exactly AA or KK. Check on the flop was begging for CR

Just glad the board didn't pair on the end

Alobar
04-05-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't like the preflop raise

Kevin
04-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Actually pondered it for a while while it was coming around. The cutoff posted and the blinds were there and no one had raised yet - so that gave (at least initially) the impression that no one was very strong - if they weren't going to raise the cutoff off of his post. I was on the button and didn't want to look weak coming in as well. I know that AJo doesn't play well multi-way, but I thought that it might cause the blinds and the poster to potentially lay it down, narrow the field and look strong from the button. When i was reraised, I knew that i was in pretty big trouble. That is why I laid off of the flop. Great price in the pot to call a turn bet for a single and see if the 4 outer was there - I don't know how I would have played an ace on the end, probably call it down and be shown AA - although an ace on the end makes KK more likely in his hand.

sfer
04-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Nice hand.

Villian should have bet the flop and also put in too many bets on the turn and the river, but there's nothing s/he could do about you turning Broadway. You're not folding to a single flop bet, or, if you are, you're making a serious mistake.

EDIT: Okay, so I can't read and there were two sets. You're still not folding there for 2 bets.

Bob T.
04-05-2004, 01:33 AM
I don't like the preflop raise

I do, you have a nice hand, the best position, you are playing against limpers, and creating dead money from the blinds adds value to your hand. If everyone misses, it makes it much easier to win on the flop, even if they have better odds to draw.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

umdpoker
04-05-2004, 01:51 AM
haahahaaahahaaha. 2 people slowplayed sets on the same hand! thats hilarious. man i love party. the same thing happened to me about 20 min ago. some guy checked the flop with a set of 5's and let me hit my 9-high straight for free on the turn. we then capped it til the river. the best part is that i almost stopped betting to save rake because it made no sense that anybody would be capping the hand without that straight. so here is another very important lesson: DON'T EVER WORRY ABOUT SAVING RAKE!@!!!!!!!

BigBaitsim (milo)
04-05-2004, 03:30 AM
Had something similar last night. Capped after I hit broadway on the turn with AK. River came K and I almost slowed down as no moron without an A would cap again. Wrong. Capper had K9. Duh.

Dynasty
04-05-2004, 03:42 AM
Is it possible that you are the one who needs to learn a lesson? The title and tenor of your post suggests that the KK player lost the pot because he slowplayed his flopped top set. But, the only way he could have won the pot is if you would have folded on the flop.

There are 19 small bets in the pot before the flop. Would you have folded your hand on the flop if he had bet his top set? Would you have folded if the flop betting had been bet and raised? If you would have folded for one bet, you would be making a monsterous mistake and a significant mistake even for two bets.

Did you even consider that going for a check-raise on this flop may be been the correct play (even if the KK player checked for different reasons)?

What's this lesson you want everyone to learn about slow playing sets on the flop?

Tosh
04-05-2004, 04:24 AM
You weren't folding the flop were you ?

Kevin
04-05-2004, 06:30 AM
Point taken and appreciated. They would have had to pull the cards from my cold, dead fingers to consider folding with the price that that pot was laying. I was more amazed that there were 2 sets there and both were slowplaying a scary flop. I would not have folded, but would have felt like a tennis ball calling two cold twice on the flop as they capped each other and then making my hand pretty obvious on the turn - probably slowing him down and saving bets. By checking it through, I think it really increased the scope of hands that I raised the button with preflop.

But appreciate your your wisdom and insight on the hand.