PDA

View Full Version : Pop Quiz : A Cutoff Situation

GuyOnTilt
04-04-2004, 11:53 PM
This is a situation that may not come up frequently, but frequently enough, anyway, that I think the correct answer is important for all of us to be aware of. Here's the situation:

It's your first hand at a 9-handed table and you post in the CO. You know nothing about the button or blinds. All fold to you. With what percentage of your hands should you check your option?

1) 10/20 with 5-10 blinds and a $1 drop if there's no flop, $4 if flopped.
2) 15/30 online with 10/15 blinds and a no flop/no drop policy.

GoT

Oblivious
04-05-2004, 12:36 AM
1. 24:10 = 70%
2. 40:15 = 72%

Just guessing

karlson
04-05-2004, 04:40 AM
Zero in both cases, but it's close. Honestly, I'm not sure which case would make me more likely to check, because I suspect people defend their blinds more often in live play than online, but more often at 15/30 than 10/20.

Edit: Ok, so your exact wording was "should". Against someone who knows what I'm doing, I will not raise all my hands. Off the top of my head, I think I'll raise with about a third. However, often, people treat this raise just as if it was a legitimate cutoff raise, hence, my first answer of zero.

Tosh
04-05-2004, 04:57 AM
Well I'd raise in either situation if I had 2 cards in front of me.

Ed Miller
04-05-2004, 05:06 AM

BTW, don't do this against someone who knows to expect this trick. If you do, you may expose yourself to the old 3-bet and bet the flop dark riposte.

astroglide
04-05-2004, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, don't do this against someone who knows to expect this trick. If you do, you may expose yourself to the old 3-bet and bet the flop dark riposte.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. the "raise any two" move will backfire A LOT on party's 15/30. my rule is that i will raise any hand that i would call a raise with, which still comprises a lot of hands, but you have to consider getting 3bet much more than you do with a standard steal.