PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive on river?

dana33
04-04-2004, 10:34 PM
In a couple of hands I posted earlier, the consensus was that I was too passive on the later streets. Did I overcompensate by being too aggressive on the river here, or did I play this OK?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, SB folds.

River: (10.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Tc Ts (straight, queen high).
CO shows 9d 8h (full house, eights full of nines).
Outcome: CO wins 18.50 BB. </font>

CORed
04-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Betting the river with a straight was correct. However, when you were raised, it would have been better to call against most opponents. Your straight was not the nut straight. KT beat you, and the paired board made a full house possible. Folding of course, would be a huge mistake. Your worst mistake, IMO was not raising pre-flop. The opponent who beat you might have folded had you raised.

juanez
04-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Raise your pocket tens preflop. That may have pushed out CO with 98os to begin with. I would probably raise the flop to thin the field as well. Betting the river is a good call, but I would have just called the raise.