PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker SnG's: Frustrating and Futile

Suvorov
04-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi All,

This is more of a rant then anything. Why is it that people on this site will call with almost anything, then get lucky as hell? In the last few days, I have had the strangest bad beats. Just tonight I am dealt KK in the small blind on the very first hand of the tourney. There are a few callers, so I make a pre flop raise of T150 and only get one caller. Flop comes Q 5 9 rainbow. So I fire out a T200 bet, and he calls. Ok, maybe he has AA. The next card out is a 5. Still nothing threatening, so I bet another 250, he calls. River comes a J. I decide to check this and he does also. What is he holding? A T8 suited, giving him a straight and the chips. He calls a T150 pre flop raise with T8 suited. WTF????

One more example: In middle position, I am dealt AK suited. Comes to me and I rasie to T125(BB's are 30 at this time). No callers except the BB. Flop comes 9 K 3. Excellent for me. I bet 250, close to the pot size, BB calls. Hmm, maybe he has Kx and flopped 2 pair(so many go in with Kx). So the turn comes 5. Since he checked to me, I bet again, this time T200, he calls. Now the river comes with a J. No way he can have a flush, it was all rainbow. He checks to me but I go ahead and check as well, in case this is a trap. What does he have? 9 3 off!!!!! 2 pair with 9's & 3's!!! I had to ask him why he would call a big pre flop raise and his response was "I was the BB and had to defend it"! OMG!!!

I play a lot of SnG's and have a pretty good win % at this point. Unfortunatley, my bankroll is a little tight, so I am stuck playing hte $5 and $10 buy ins. I know that it is better to wait a few levels and let the morons get knocked out, but when you are dealt a good hand, how can you not play it? I cannot wait to get my bankroll up so I can play the higher limit tables where people actually know what they are doing. It is very frustrating to lose to dumb ass luck. I am sorry if I sound harsh for my first post here, but it can be soooo frustrating.

Thanks for listening and if you would like to comment, ESPECIALLY if you think I played these hands wrong, please do so.

cavalier
04-04-2004, 08:37 PM
For what it's worth, I win consistantly at PP's NLHE S&G tourneys.

I started at the $10+$1 level with $200 and got it up to $600. It took a while (240 tourneys) and I witnessed hands that could never be explained to me!

As soon as I got to my $600, I moved to the $20+$2. Like you, I expected better players would play higher limits. I was right, but I didn't want to head there with a limited bankroll. I waited until I got 30 times the cost and moved up ( this way I could weather a bad run and not question my skills immediately after a move ).

Since moving, my stats are BETTER.

As of today.

I have results for 230 $10+$1 S&G's on PP :
Net Profit : $480
Ret-On-Inv : $480/$2530 = 18.97%
IT$ : 41.74%
Avg Fin : 4.37
1st : 26 (11.3%), 2nd : 31 (13.5%), 3rd : 39 (17.0%)

I have results for 47 $20+$2 S&G's on PP :
Net Profit : $346
Ret-On-Inv : $346/$1034= 33.46%
IT$ : 42.55%
Avg Fin : 4.34
1st : 8 (17.0%), 2nd : 5 (10.6%), 3rd : 7 (14.9%)

Moral of the story, stick with it. Grind out the bankroll from those $10+$1 and move up when you can.

No doubt you'll suffer some nutty losses, but unless you can afford to sit with better players you'll have to deal with the making money off the idiots. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And, in case you are wondering, the $20+$2 games aren't completely idiot-free. They wander in, play their madness and occassionaly even win a hand/tourney. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Good luck and play well!

Suvorov
04-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I am just going to have to struggle to get my account up. Maybe soon I will see you at the higher tables. What about my plays on those hands? Does anyone think I played them worng? SHould have done something different?

Thanks!

Chah Ngo
04-05-2004, 02:55 AM
Also, there is an advantage to suffering the idiots. I played a SnG today and was woefully short stacked. Then, the second biggest stack went at it with the chip leader with 4 players left. He got busted and I got paid /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Vive le Empire!

CharlieFox
04-05-2004, 03:03 AM
I would've bet big in both of those situations... overpair and KK with ace kicker are great hands to have on the flop. I started playing $5 and $10 PartyPoker SnGs recently, and I've seen plenty of insane calls and bets, too. Sometimes you just have to smile, shake your head, and realize that bad beats are a part of poker. Take confidence in the fact that playing a solid game will bring you wins over the long run, and that the maniacs on PartyPoker will get beat by the odds and the good players more often than not. You'll get 'em next time. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

lacky
04-05-2004, 01:50 PM
just try and focus on all the times the idiots hand u there stack calling all in with bottom pair, A no kicker, 4 flush. of course they will get lucky sometimes, but when it goes right u coast in the money with a big stack. I play the $55's and $109's and wish there were more idiots. without them u end up with 5 good players with equal chips all trying to make it, a tougher situation. if i could make as much i'd play the $10's forever, just have to forget the crazy beats, focus on the idiotic calls. good luck

Prickly Pete
04-05-2004, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot wait to get my bankroll up so I can play the higher limit tables where people actually know what they are doing. It is very frustrating to lose to dumb ass luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's true that as you move up the opponents become more unlucky and you can win a buttload. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sorry, but I see this kind of post all the time. So you had 2 idiots play awful hands and beat you. Yes it sucks and yes it happens all the time. And yes you want idiotic calls to happen all the time. I'm sure you realize this and are just frustrated by the beats - we've all been there and can sympathize.

Suvorov
04-05-2004, 07:24 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gifLOL. Yes, I was frustrated /images/graemlins/mad.gif when I made this post, and no, I know that at higher limits players are not less lucky. But, in a SnG, I doubt that anyone that knows the game is going to call a big pre flop raise just because "they are defending their BB". Things like that are just assinine. Just today, I was playing and someone made a very big pre flop raise. Turned out he had AA and the caller had.....7 3 off!. Bluffing is a part of poker, but he didn't bluff with 73, he called with it. At the lower limits, especially at Party, people will go into a hand with ANYTHING.

harrypalmer
04-05-2004, 08:05 PM
suvorov,
Yes, taking a bad beat can be extremely frustating especially during a sit and go where chip position is so crucial because of fast rising blinds. Just remember that a bad beat is when an inferior player playing inferior cards beats a better player playing better cards. It's that simple. But as long as you keep playing those superior cards you'll have your fair share of wins. This is why a good player takes a lot more bad beats than a bad player: becuase the better player is in the position to take beats many more times. What you really have to worry about is when you are constantly out drawing others. This is a good indication that your game might need some work. Hang in there and keep playing those superior hands.

Harry

Tosh
04-05-2004, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot wait to get my bankroll up so I can play the higher limit tables where people actually know what they are doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everytime I see this line I have to laugh. If you really believe this to be true you have no business playing poker.

EDIT: And btw complaing about this makes you the idiot.

Hiding
04-05-2004, 10:00 PM
This isn't a flame, just advice. If you can't beat the idiots at low levels going to higher levels is just going to destroy you. You want idiots, they are the fish. Let them call their junk and take their chips. Sure they get lucky once in a while, but more often they won't. Bad beats suck, but they happen, at any level. The only difference is that at low levels a bad beat costs you 10 bucks, at a higher level it costs you 100.

Raven70
04-06-2004, 01:40 AM
Just got nailed in a PartyPoker 50 SNG -

I'm in mid position with AK off; my raise is reraised by the next player - who takes me down with a freaking 7/2 - ("but it was suited" was his response). Flop was K/2/2. Unbelievable. Punk's name was "river_mstr23"

hhughes
04-06-2004, 01:43 AM
Just wanted 2 say I feel your pain...but the chasers/bad beats at low limits are part of the game. I am also in a similar situation concerning my bankroll, but play solid poker and dont become one of the aquarium denizens. It will pay off in the long run.

Tosh
04-06-2004, 07:24 AM
I think he was playing the 50 because he'd lost a lot in 30's. I saw him lose a fair few.

Ben
04-06-2004, 09:55 AM
What more could you ask for than someone who called your raises or re-raised with 72s?

Seriously, THINK about that. He's making the WORST possible play and got lucky this ONCE. He'll dump you his stack again and again over time.

If you're not thankful for this sort of player you don't understand poker. Go buy Theory of Poker and pay special attention to the Fundamental Thereom section.

-Ben

Prickly Pete
04-06-2004, 11:00 AM
That what you get for playing that unsuited crap. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DarkKnight
04-06-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What more could you ask for than someone who called your raises or re-raised with 72s

[/ QUOTE ]
He could call with 72o

Raven70
04-06-2004, 09:20 PM
"Gee Ben - I guess I should have thought of that." (cough, cough)

Of course I realize that it's dumb play such as playing 7/2 that ultimately rewards the solid player. However, I appreciate your attempt to educate me.

My perception of the point of this thread was to provide a forum for those of us that just need to vent. Do you ever have to vent from time to time? Have you ever had a bad run where no matter how solidly you play, you get lost to b.s. hands?

Again, I understand how the 7/2 player pays us off in the long run. I can still beotch about it though. I tell you what - I promise not to continue to whine about it. Okay?

BTW - why don't you spearhead a group of folks to outlaw all badbeat stories. It appears that it is your opinion that they have no therapeutic value whatsoever. I can only hope to one day have your clarity of mind.

Ben
04-06-2004, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It appears that it is your opinion that they have no therapeutic value whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my opinion.

If you want to whine start a journal.