PDA

View Full Version : 6-12: Defending SB against possible steal raise

04-28-2002, 01:18 AM
Played some 6-12 last night with two 2+2 lurkers. See my trip report in the Gossip Forum for more details. The following hand came up which I thought was interesting.

Very aggressive player open raises in the cutoff. Button folds and I 3-bet from my SB with AsTd. BB calls, cutoff calls. 3 to the flop.

Flop: Kh 8d 3s. I bet, BB and cutoff both call.

Turn: Ad. I check, BB checks, cutoff bets, I checkraise, BB folds and cutoff calls.

River: 9s. I bet, Cutoff calls and my hand is good.

Thoughts appreciated.

04-28-2002, 03:03 AM
I think you played this hand perfectly. Of course, you did not want the big blind to call before the flop, but it happens.

You have to bet again with that flop. With two callers, I assume you were done with this hand if you didn't hit the turn.

Checkraise was good, I think, because the cutoff was likely to represent an ace even if he didn't have it, thus you win an extra bet even with both your opponents have garbage. Plus, it defined your hand.

The river bet is okay, although if your opponent was very aggressive postflop as well, I might have check-called, given the possibility he had a busted diamond draw or decided to value bet an underpair. Actually, thinking about it, I think I favor a check-call on the end, but your play is right if he is likely to check down the river with Ax and would not raise with two pair, fearing a set after your aggression.

I think this hand would have been much more interesting if a T came on the turn; you probably have to bet out if that occurs.

Mike

04-28-2002, 07:39 AM
definitally not a check-call on river. He had probably scared the AP on the turn with that check-raise so the AP would probably check to a showdown, and a bet would be lost there...

04-28-2002, 01:15 PM
I would have bet the turn if a non-queen or jack came. A ten is an obvious bet, and their mere call on the flop means:

1. They have nothing.

2. They have very little and don't want to commit. This means I want to bet again to force them into a choice with something marginal like 66. Its awful tough to call down a preflop 3-bettor with a king on the board.

3. They have a monster and will raise me. Well, its easy enough to fold if raised.

On the river, I think that he will only bet hands that beat me after my aggression on the turn, but he will call with a much wider range of hands.

04-28-2002, 03:00 PM