PDA

View Full Version : Pocket TT and I am Losing It

naphand
04-04-2004, 05:37 PM
PokerStars $2/$4 6 Max - 5 seated

Table: SB has not distinguished himself but plays sensibly, BB is jolly, having fun, loose and passive, UTG is psycho-computer-any-draw man and a terrible player, CO is super-aggro but a bit quieter having lost a ton.

I am on the Button with T /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (a hand that has lost me many $$ these last few days).

UTG limps, I raise, SB 3-bets, BB folds, UTG calls, I call.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets (immediately), UTG calls, I call.

Turn: 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets (immediately), UTG calls, I call.

River: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, UTG calls, I fold.

Oh man, I think I messed this up. This was an easy flop raise? or Turn CR? I did nothing to test SB, and got hooked into the backup draw I had. Let this go on the flop? I think no way. I failed to raise at any time and talked myself into defeat. I guess I knew UTG had no J, but honestly felt I was beat. SB was not prone to this kind of aggression without an actual hand, I had certainly not seen him attack a flop with just overcards previous to this. I was sick of losing money with this hand with overcards on the flop, and he played JJ the same way to my pocket 88 earlier.

Results below in white:

<font color="white">SB turns over AdQh
UTG turns over 9h8c
Ugh....on the bright side this is the only winning hand I have folded this week.</font>

Nate tha' Great
04-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Nap,

I'm inclined to cap before the flop. With a fishy caller trapped in the middle, it's probably +EV on its face, but more importantly, it makes the rest of the hand easier to play.

Demian
04-04-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm trying to understand how capping it pre-flop here makes this easier to play. When a sensible player 3-bets from the SB, yes he may just be trying to get the BB out and assert his hand, but i also worry about a big pair. At the very least he's probably going to have overcards to this flop if he doesn't hit it, which he will almost definitely not fold before the river with that much money in the pot. Also, he may take a stab at the flop anyway which Nap will, i think, have to raise if he caps pre-flop. Again, i don't think anyone's going away, including Mr. inside-straight-draw based upon Nap's read of him, so it looks to me like you are just building a bigger pot to fold on the turn or river. I know you want to charge for these draws, but i'd rather do that when i know i'm ahead. And i assume folding this hand on the turn is where the easier to play part comes in? But i'm not sure i feel like it's easier that way. Say he bets out on the turn or river when an overcard falls. If i'm going to fold here, i'd rather do it not having put in the extra money pre-flop and on the flop. And raising the flop and folding to a turn CR costs me the same as calling down (if i choose to based upon what the turn and river bring).
I don't know, maybe my logic is flawed here, and if you think so, please show me what i'm missing here.

stoxtrader
04-04-2004, 07:47 PM
definitely cap pre flop. In this case, SB actually had a hand, but anytime someone bets my "steal raise" when I actually have a good hand I always cap, this would include AK and AQ, possibly AJ, KQ is a bit tougher as you don't have the A for showdown value...

I agree with three players this is a bit tougher, but you have to put the SB to the test some time. I would probably bet or raise the flop and maybe the turn as well and take a free showdown if I dont improve.

Ulysses
04-04-2004, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I am on the Button

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or Turn CR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only true experts can execute the button checkraise.

Seriously, given your description, you clearly have UTG beat. So you'll be shown AK or something like that by SB more than enough times to call.

naphand
04-05-2004, 12:38 PM
lol

Gad am I in trouble, why do I keep saying CR like this? I think that is twice this week. Maybe read my other post on "losing it", I think the evidence is there.....

naphand
04-05-2004, 12:49 PM
This hand made me realise that, pschologically, I had lost my edge. This should have been an auto-raise on the flop, though I am not too sure how SB would have reacted, I like to think he would have called, but to do so would have screamed "I have no J" (unless I then see a CR on the Turn...hmmm).

I think capping with a moron trapped in the middle is pretty much required play, but I think this was the 12th time I had seen TT in 2 days - score was 1-10 win-loss. I was setting myself up for this kind of hand, and with moron catching every inside straight he played against me, I just felt I was on another losing hand.

On the plus side I got to see what SB was capable of (UTG everyone on the table knew about). Also it shocked me into realising I was off-base and I stopped playing shortly after this. I cannot believe I did not call one more bet, but I guess I had pretty much forgotten I had TT and was looking at the draw value only.

Thanks for the replies, it confirmed that this was a standard encounter, and I had also not thought of the SB raising against my "steal-raise" (maybe he put on on a weak A). I just saw his 3-bet as an omen of my impending demise....

tee-hee