PDA

View Full Version : You have Two Pair, and the Turn puts 3-suited on the board.....

The WET BEAVER
04-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Lets say you have 2 pair, and the turn puts 3 hearts on the board.

This situation comes up alot. I've seen this discussed somewhere, and most players would bet the turn. They might fold if raised. It seems like it's correct to bet, because that's the aggressive style, and you do not give a free card to the deuce of hearts.

But I read in HEPFAV about Turn concepts, and Sklansky says to check and call with hands when if beaten, you have outs. I was surprised by this; it seems passive.

I could see doing this with a set or TPTK and you have the suited Ace. But with Two Pair, you only have 4 outs if beaten.

I'm not saying I disagree with Sklansky, but what is the rationale of checking and calling with 2 pair? And how would you generally play this scenario?

astroglide
04-04-2004, 04:20 PM
online 15 i generally bet and call a raise back because of how often people will raise draws on the turn

Styles
04-04-2004, 05:53 PM
I think you lose less when you're beat and win more when you fill up.

SinCityGuy
04-04-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
online 15 i generally bet and call a raise back because of how often people will raise draws on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Against one or two opponents, I tend to bet this. Against more than two, I will usually check.

nykenny
04-05-2004, 01:02 AM
bet if the players in the pot are straight forward. check if they are tricky.

kenny

Webster
04-05-2004, 07:13 AM
I bet - remember - the board is scary for everyone elso also. call a raise because you still have a boat chance.

SinCityGuy
04-05-2004, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet - remember - the board is scary for everyone elso also. call a raise because you still have a boat chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post has a lot of merit, and this is obviously a difficult decision. If you bet, you probably fold out a lone small heart, but if you check then they have infinite odds to draw out on you.

LetsRock
04-05-2004, 01:33 PM
IF I'm in EP (leading into the pack), I will usually bet out and call down. The board is scary to everyone else (not having the nuts) so I prefer to act like the card helped me.

If I'm bet into, I generally just call.

If it gets raised and 3-bet, I usually go away. I'm trying to not see the monsters (which is why I prefer to bet as if it didn't scare me), but against 2 raisers, I have to figure that one of them hit.

(Of course, this is my boiler plate play and it does get adjusted based on the table.)

Checking this turn card is giving a free card to any lone suit holder, and just can't be correct.

nykenny
04-05-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post has a lot of merit, and this is obviously a difficult decision. If you bet, you probably fold out a lone small heart, but if you check then they have infinite odds to draw out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]
no infinite odds here if the guy(s) behind you will bet for sure. i am talking about 15/30 online games (or similar)... to say "bet 'cause the board is also scary for the opponents" is just too book-smart; everyone here on 2+2 has read the book, it is no longer as simple as that. plus, why would u call a raise if you are so sure "it's a scary board to everyone else"?

Kenny

SinCityGuy
04-05-2004, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no infinite odds here if the guy(s) behind you will bet for sure. i am talking about 15/30 online games (or similar)... to say "bet 'cause the board is also scary for the opponents" is just too book-smart; everyone here on 2+2 has read the book, it is no longer as simple as that. plus, why would u call a raise if you are so sure "it's a scary board to everyone else"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, it's not an easy decision, and it depends on a lot of different factors. I've been beaten both ways: by letting the small heart get a free card and draw out; and by getting raised by the made flush. In that case, you fall back to pot odds. If you're getting at least 11 to 1, you can call to see if you fill up on the river.

JTrue
04-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Not really sure

The WET BEAVER
04-09-2004, 01:59 AM
If you check, you encourage opponents to bet with weaker hands or bluff.

If you check, and there's a bet and raise behind you, then someone indeed has a flush, and you can muck because you usually won't be getting 11-1 odds.

If you check and call you will lose less if you're beaten and gain more if you fill up. You might actually gain more if your opponents are aggressive and fold a scary board and automatically bet if you check.

I guess thats the reason.

JTrue
04-09-2004, 03:03 AM
Hello out there