PDA

View Full Version : Should I have raised the riv?

Noodles
04-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed). Passive table except one guy is a bit of a maniac converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Noodles is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Noodles calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, Noodles calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font> (bit of a maniac guy) UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Noodles raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font> (this shou7ld be the actions of someone that has got something on the riv,but i couldnt figure out how the 8 could help,thought of raising but chickened out, Noodles calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, between SB and Noodles.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Noodles (11.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Td Kh (two pair, kings and sevens).
Noodles shows Ac 5c (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: Noodles wins 11.50 BB. </font>

eh923
04-04-2004, 04:24 PM
If by "raise the river", you mean "call 2-bets cold on the flop", the answer is NO.

Back to your question. I wouldn't raise the river. In this case, you're PROBABLY chopping, so a raise doesn't gain anything. If you're behind, you just shot 1BB down the toilet (or 2 if he reraises). If he bluffed at you, you successfully picked him off by calling, so be satisfied with getting 1BB more than you could've.

Noodles
04-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Why not call 2 bets cold on flop,the SB was a bit of a mniac and his raiser might have just been raising to clear out behind him??

eh923
04-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Did you really have that read at the time? If so, then calling 2-cold seems a lot less pleasing than 3-betting while you have position. If you didn't have a read that he was trying to isolate, then you are probably dominated and staring a huge -EV right in the face.

bicyclekick
04-04-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm laying this one down on the flop, no iffs ands or buts about it. Only thing you have going for you is position and usually the 2nd best hand at BEST. I still think UTG may have had a better hand then you, but something not much better.

You got lucky, and since you did paly it the way you did, no I wouldn't have raised the river.

Noodles
04-05-2004, 09:03 AM
"If so, then calling 2-cold seems a lot less pleasing than 3-betting while you have position."
Yep that makes more sense!!