PDA

View Full Version : raise, call, fold?

04-27-2002, 12:51 PM
online 3-6

i'm in BB with A9o and get a free play. theres 3 limpers + the sb. 6 handed to the flop. 18$ in pot.

[Qh 7h 9c] i have the Ah.

sb bets out, sb is a habitual semi-bluffer, he either has two medium hearts, 10/8, or maybe something like A7. a stronger draw or a solid made hand and he would checkraise.

so what do i do here? i'm pretty sure sb's drawing and if i could isolate him with a raise that'd be ideal, but i might not be able to, plus if someone 3-bets i'm probably drawing even thinner than expected.

i could call and take one off, but then i wouldn't know where i stood. even a raise from another player could just mean 2 hearts, or it could mean i'm drawing nearly dead vs. AQ (no raise btf but limping with AQ is common in this game).

or i could just fold, the pot's not that big, and there could be a Q out already, and if there isn't i'm vulnerable to overcards. the prospect of a one-card runner-runner flush definitely isn't enough to dictate a call.

what do you guys think, i seem get into these situations alot in my blinds and i think i'm leaking funds by not playing them well.

thanks.

04-27-2002, 12:53 PM
that should read: 5 handed to the flop, 15$ in the pot.

04-27-2002, 01:40 PM
"could call and take one off, but then i wouldn't know where i stood. even a raise from another player could just mean 2 hearts, or it could mean i'm drawing nearly dead vs. AQ (no raise btf but limping with AQ is common in this game)."

I might call to see if I can trip up or catch an ace, if I positive I can do it for only one SB, but folding is what I would probably do here. I'm VERY sure I fold a few winners, but with 5 limpers in the pot you should just wait for a better hand. Too big of a chance with the over card and possible limpers with the hands you mentioned.

"or i could just fold, the pot's not that big, and there could be a Q out already, and if there isn't i'm vulnerable to overcards. the prospect of a one-card runner-runner flush definitely isn't enough to dictate a call."

GREAT IDEA, a better hand will come along soon enough, I promise

04-27-2002, 08:34 PM
I don't think calling is an option. This would be a raise or fold for me and the SB has put you in a bad spot. If you raise and get called you're going to have to slow down.

I think I fold here.

04-27-2002, 11:22 PM
I fold without even thinking about it. You are either very slight ahead and very vulnerable or you are behind, possibly by quite a bit. If there were only three players, then a raise is certainly in order against the type of player you describe. Otherwise, weight for a better opportunity to get your money in the pot.

04-28-2002, 01:38 AM
if sb is that weak a player, raise him and try to knock players out...the pots not that big so they may not decide to chase. if you get reraised, then maybe see the turn and fold if no improvement.

", i seem get into these situations alot in my blinds and i think i'm leaking funds by not playing them well"

if your not sure how to play certain hands...save the chips until you learn. start reading about blind play, then slowly incorporate it into your play until you have a good feel for it. no sense in blowin chips in situations where your unsure of your options...

some thoughts...

b

04-28-2002, 02:24 AM