PDA

View Full Version : AJo on the button

afk
04-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Reviewing this hand I'm not sure how I should have played it. It's one of those hands where I feel my play on each street it questionable.

I don't know much about UTG+1, but CO is a passive any-two fish.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls, UTG+1 (poster) checks, UTG+2 raises, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Is the call ok? Should I have 3-bet?

Flop: (14 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, UTG+2 calls, CO raises, Hero 3-bets, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, CO calls.

Was my 3-bet over-aggressive, especially with CO raising?

Turn: (12 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

I still like my bet. But should I have taken the free card?

River: (15 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 raises, CO 3-bets, Hero folds, UTG+1 calls.

Both UTG+1 and CO seem to really like their hands, and I can't believe that I'm ahead most of the time in this situation - I think this is a safe fold. Not to mention the check-raise, check-reraise.

Final Pot: 20 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 20 BB, between UTG+1 and CO.</font>
I'll throw up their hands later when I get home.

sublime
04-04-2004, 02:44 PM
J9 for UTG +1, or quad 2's?

Maybe your 3bet on flop has him worried of flush......

spamuell
04-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Assuming that UTG+2 is a typical player, what hands do you think that he will be raising in that position? Seriously, make a list.

Now, which of the following options do you think is correct, given the hands that he would raise there:

1. Call
2. 3-bet
3. Fold

Your flop play seems fine.

On the turn, you'd be giving a free card rather than taking a free one.

River fold seems reasonable.

nothumb
04-04-2004, 04:36 PM
I agree, this hand is routine IMO. You absolutely do not give a 'free card' on the turn as the betting has so far indicated you have the best hand.

The two comes off and you try to ignore the giant sucking sound as you bet into the school of fish in front of you. At .05/.10 you could probably just check and say, "You guys caught me! I'm not getting check-raised!"

j/k. But almost. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

afk
04-04-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming that UTG+2 is a typical player, what hands do you think that he will be raising in that position? Seriously, make a list.

Now, which of the following options do you think is correct, given the hands that he would raise there:

1. Call
2. 3-bet
3. Fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for mentioning that, reading hands is definetly a skill I need to improve and put more time into. I already know the outcome, but I suppose a reasonable list of hands from EP would be big pocket pairs AA-JJ, usually TT. AKs/o, AQs/o, AJs, KQs.

[ QUOTE ]

On the turn, you'd be giving a free card rather than taking a free one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't feel ahead at the turn which is why I considered it to be 'taking' a free card, but still, I think the bet is correct and I would be 'giving' a free card.

As for results:
UTG+1 shows Jd Jc (full house, jacks full of twos).
CO shows 9s 2s (full house, twos full of nines).

SpaceAce
04-04-2004, 08:12 PM
You should have simply thrown away your AJo. AJ just isn't a good hand to be cold-calling raises with.

Edit: I haven't played $.05/$.10, just for the record.

SpaceAce

HiatusOver
04-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Fold your AJo pre-flop and it is not very close. High unsuited cards go way down in value in this game when there is a raise and a multi-way pot. The rest of tha hand seems reasonable. Some strong players might say that checking the turn is the better play, but if you feel like you are behind here there is a good chance you have exactly 0 outs so you aren't really "taking" a free card, because if you are behind the card usually will have no value to you. That being said, I like the bet on the turn.

afk
04-04-2004, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should have simply thrown away your AJo. AJ just isn't a good hand to be cold-calling raises with.

Edit: I haven't played $.05/$.10, just for the record.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, good to know. Had it been KJo I would have tossed it but I wasn't really sure where AJo stood.

Saborion
04-05-2004, 01:41 AM
Fold pre-flop.

JDErickson
04-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Have to agree here. I usually toss AJo to a raise unless I;m trying to isolate a maniac. Too many ways to lose with AJo

Jim