PDA

View Full Version : UTG with my favorite hand

jdl22
04-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Good old AQo. Board paired, should I have slowed down?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB ($22.68)
Hero ($69.35)
MP1 ($40.85)
MP2 ($91.70)
CO ($21.40)
Button ($87.18)
SB ($74.31)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls $0.50, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, CO folds, SB calls $2, BB folds.

Turn: ($6) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, SB calls $5.

River: ($16) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, SB calls $10.

Final Pot: $36
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $36, between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB ($36).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qc Ah (two pair, queens and nines).
SB shows 9s 8h (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: SB wins $36. </font>

muzungu
04-04-2004, 04:23 AM
jdl-

I'm pretty much a wuss (see: rock icon) but yeah, I'd slow down. The turn is just about the worst card in the deck: not only did the board pair, the flush draw also got there. The turn bet seems ok- puts him to the test, he could fold Qx/JT/a diamond here and not have a chance to outdraw you or push you off the pot- but I wouldn't bet the river. He has called you twice- I wouldn't be feeling good about your TPTK here.

Maybe you could check and call a small bet, trying to pick off a steal, but he could easily raise your river bet, and you'd have to fold. That way you lose money and don't get to see a showdown- a double whammy.

-muz

SomeName
04-04-2004, 11:55 AM
i would rather fold this hand under the gun than limp in with it on party.

jdl22
04-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Since you say that preflop play isn't worth discussing could you discuss why you would rather fold this preflop than limp?

BlueBear
04-04-2004, 09:51 PM
In my opinion, both limping and folding this hand are OK plays are just depends on the temperament of the UTG player. The AQo just has the cautious because if the player flops a top pair AND is dominated from the start (AK, QQ, KK, AA), it's not really an easy hand to lay down. That aside, we're also ultra-prone to be bluffed from a late position player.

On your hand I would slow down by checking-calling (a small bet) the river.

In a much tougher and more aggressive game where players know what they are doing (eg. NL 100 or more), I will muck this without a second thought.

SomeName
04-07-2004, 03:04 PM
i just think limping isnt so great. I would probably raise it myself to define where i am at. If a solid player plays with me i will tread lightly. (Note: I probably will lose my stack a few times to KK or AK but this is more than made up for by the times i double off of AJ A10 KQ etc). On Party Poker the NL games almost turn into limit until people double a few times as you can only buyin for 100BB.

Side note: In my other thread I didnt mean to imply pre-flop play isnt important, I meant that it isnt as important as most seem to think it is, and that possibly people should focus a little more on other things such as image and playing the game/player not the cards.

scrub
04-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Check behind on that river--your value bet is extremely thin, so why give yourself a chance to lose the pot when you're ahead?

scrub