PDA

View Full Version : A typical situation: let's take a poll

Nate tha' Great
04-04-2004, 01:17 AM
You open-raise two off the Button with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in a 6-max game, 5-10 limits. You believe that your table image is reasonable. Only an unknown player in the BB calls.

The flop comes K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. The BB bets into you. Your default action is to:

BookOfIcculus
04-04-2004, 01:41 AM
I fold as a default but there are lots of times I'd call and few times I'd raise.

Nate tha' Great
04-04-2004, 01:44 AM
When you call, is it with the intention of simply trying to pair up on the turn, or to make a delayed semibluff by raising if a blank hits?

BookOfIcculus
04-04-2004, 03:01 AM
I call when I feel I am up against a pair lower than an ace or a ten, or I'm thinking that my A high is good and a raise will make the other person fold costing me money. I find that my semibluff raises never work often enough unless I've played against the player for 60+ hours and he/she knows how selective I am.

I raise when i feel I am up agaist a 2nd or 3rd pair and I can take the pot.

But I fold most often because of the style I play. The flop is the part of the game with the most luck and if I miss there I'm happy folding to a now better hand.

stripsqueez
04-04-2004, 08:02 AM
i voted fold because there was no "it depends" category available

i went on a raise pre-flop - fold to a flop bet or raise - frenzy today - couldnt hit a flop and no-one wanted to fold when i tried to bully them - to my horror i discovered these guys had noticed - before i knew it i was calling everything down with A high - i mention this because i should of just kept on bullying - i'm more comfortable with that than picking off bluffs

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

ZeeJustin
04-04-2004, 08:14 AM
I fold this type of hand routinely. There aren't many hands you're [still?] ahead of here.

King Yao
04-04-2004, 09:16 AM
I would fold against an unknown player. But against more tricky players, those that like to semi-bluff, etc., I would call. with the 85 on the board, its too easy for him to have a straight draw and to be betting out with it in a shorthanded game. I think most players would not bet out with it, and that is why I would fold against an unknown player, but there are many who would bet out.

My intentions on the turn would be to raise if a K, Q, J, 8, 5, 3 or 2 hits the board (with no further intentions of putting in another bet unless an Ace or Ten shows up on the River...this means if I get threebet, I'm done with the hand). If an Ace or Ten hits, and I make myself a pair, I'm just going to call his bet (or bet myself if he checks) because I want to get him to bet again on the River. If a 9, 7, 6 or 4 hits, I'm folding, because either I was beat on the flop already, or now he's turned a pair or a straight.

gonores
04-04-2004, 10:50 AM
If the BB is unknown because I am new to the table, I'm not folding this without at least one more show of aggression. I've got an image to worry about. If BB is the new player, it totally depends on what I have done lately, but I'll fold more often than not.