PDA

View Full Version : women members at augusta natl..(masters)..

scalf
04-03-2004, 09:43 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif well; here it is...

another year..is anyone going to protest no female members of a private golf club??

does anyone care???

funny now isn't it????

this was supposed to bring augusta natl to its knees..

well; a person does have the right to join a private club, and play golf with whom she wants...

let freedom ring...

now if we can only actually be allowed to shop for food and underwear where we want????(wal-mart)

lol

let freedom ring..

gl /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

HDPM
04-04-2004, 12:16 AM
This year isn't the telling year. If Martha wins her lawsuit, protests could be big next year. Also, I think Augusta will eventually cave. Maybe after hootie steps down or something.

JTG51
04-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Don't you get the feeling that Augusta was going to let a woman in soon anyway, but now they are fighting so that it doesn't look like they caved into Martha?

I'm sure it'll happen in the next couple of years.

HDPM
04-04-2004, 02:43 AM
No.

But I think it will happen within 5 years now.

scalf
04-04-2004, 08:56 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif it'l be oprah...

two fer..

she won't offend anyone;

she's from the south too

gl /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

elwoodblues
04-05-2004, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it will happen within 5 years now

[/ QUOTE ]

and the people who originally protested/boycotted won't get the credit.

Boris
04-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Hey Scalfie - I agree that the boys should have their own special club. Just please don't shop at wal-mart because you are suporting the g-dam commies.

andyfox
04-05-2004, 01:18 PM
I believe the average age of the members of Augusta is 78.

Lee Trevino used to change his shoes in the parking lot, because he felt the people in the clubhouse were bigots.

Augusta represents what everyone used to hate about golf: exclusivity, racism, rich old farts, and bright green clothing.

HDPM
04-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Nothing wrong with exclusivity and rich old farts. The green clothing is easy to change. It's the bigotry that is the problem.

I would love to belong to an exclusive country club, but I won't belong to one that discriminates. I think my ideal club is Champions in Houston. It is very cheap for a club of its quality, you have to be under a 15 to join, and if you ask where the pool or tennis courts are you won't get in. Perfect. All races and genders are OK tho.

I have played my share of golf at muni dog tracks and am tired of it, although it has a certain charm.

andyfox
04-05-2004, 01:31 PM
My friend joined the Olympic Club in San Francisco because he couldn't get tee times at the munis. I hate country clubs. Rules about what to wear, when guests can play, where you can use your cell phone, how to dress. Horrible people. Most of 'em wrote in Mussolini in the Bush/Gore election. I've played a fair amount at all the major country clubs here in L.A. You can have 'em.

My dad, 84 and going strong, plays at Rancho Park. He takes the first tee time and is done in 3-1/2 hours. Most played course in the country, well over 100,000 rounds a year.

HDPM
04-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Hmmmm, no cell phones, jeans, cutoffs, guests..... Hey Andy, can you get me on at LA Country Club?

P.S. Have played Rancho Park but not LACC, Riviera, Bel Air etc....

andyfox
04-05-2004, 01:39 PM
I have to be invited myself. Pretty waspy place. The North course is as tough as they come. Maybe the most valuable piece of property in the world.

JTrout
04-05-2004, 01:41 PM
An interesting point about "exclusive"(best, most expensive) courses in the deep south: they are MOST likely to have minority members today.

For whatever reason(s): pressure from top members, high visibility, or simply because it's the right thing to do. But the finest courses around have welcomed the 21st century, while practically every little town country club would not allow Tiger Woods to play.