PDA

View Full Version : Could I have squeezed more bets?

cjromero
04-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Long-time lurker, first time hand poster. I have been playing low limit on Party since late November and these forums have been a tremendous help to me. I have been in a rut the last couple of months, and I acknowledged it was well past time to begin posting hands for advice. So here goes:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

1. I realize my preflop call was a bit loose, but there was a lot of money in the pot. Thoughts?

Flop: (12.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

2. Should I have led out, check raised here, or waited until the turn?

Turn: (10.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

3. Lead out here?

River: (14.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO folds.

4. Lead out here?

Final Pot: 17.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ts 9c (full house, tens full of nines).
UTG+2 shows Kh 6c (two pair, kings and tens).
MP1 shows Js Qs (straight, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins 17.25 BB. [/color

bdk3clash
04-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Looks well played on all streets to me. On the flop, I think you can be relatively sure that someone will bet out, so check-raising makes a lot of sense to me. You can also bet out here if you have aggressive opponents, hoping to 3-bet.

Don't worry about "tipping the strength of your hand," etc. They'll call down anyway, despite what appears to you to be a glaringly obvious "I have trips" play.

Remember, the "standard" low limit play when you flop a "monster" like this is to slowplay the flop and then check-raise the turn. So they're expecting that. They zig, you zag. You probably got less credit for having trips by playing the way you did. (Check out UTG+2 calling you down with TP6K.)

On the turn, you have to lead out since you check-raised the flop. If you check, you run the serious risk of having it checked through, which would be pretty disastrous. There's all kinds of draws possible on this board. Don't give free cards.

If you get raised on this turn, I would advocate just calling down. Raising the turn here is representing a very strong hand--you're either facing a better hand (KK, T with a better kicker), or a bluff/semibluff. If they're bluffing, give them enough rope to hang themselves. If they've got a better hand, minimize your losses.

On the river, given your play on the flop and turn, you really have no choice but to lead out and hope someone raises.

Having checked the results, I'm very surprised MP1 didn't raise the river. My notes on him would be loose raising standards preflop, relatively judicious with later-street bets. UTG+2 is a clueless, donating calling station.

Well played, and welcome to the forum.

bdk3clash
04-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Also, I think 1/2 hands belong in the micro-limits forum. Small stakes is for 2/4 and up, I believe. No big deal, though.

chesspain
04-03-2004, 06:58 PM

Alobar
04-03-2004, 07:41 PM
I think bdk3clash pretty much covered it perfectly. The only other way to play it would have been to lead out the flop if you thought the PFR was the type who would auto raise then you could 3 bet. Looks good. welcome to the forums. Just so you know, in the future 1/2 belongs in the micro limits....good luck

jrobb83
04-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Lol, think he knows that 1/2 posts go in the micro-limit forumn yet , or should I reiterate that again?? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I often bet out into a pf raiser if I catch a great flop. I've found that, especially on party, people in late position love to raise flops. I've found that I can bet into a pf raiser and count on him to raise, allowing me to three bet my good hands.