PDA

View Full Version : How do I beat rocks?

Ralph Wiggum
04-03-2004, 03:39 PM
I've heard a lot on how to beat calling stations & maniacs, but what is the general strategy against rocks? I play on Pokerstars aka Rockstars. I know being a rock is not the winniest method of play, but a lot of people seem to play that way. So can anyone please enlighten me on strategies to take on a tight-passive table?

astroglide
04-03-2004, 03:57 PM
i think it's pretty dumb to play against rocks when much worse opponents are a few mouseclicks away. that being said, if they're overly tight simply steal blinds all the time.

Ralph Wiggum
04-03-2004, 04:15 PM
I steal blinds & raise from MP a lot when playing against rocks. I tend to play much more aggressive than I normally do. And if the table gets short, I border on maniacal. I agree it's better to not play rocks when trying to win money, but I want to learn to beat that style of play.

Lunamondo
04-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Vs. tight-passive. Your edge comes from giving them more respect when they show aggression or even call. You expect they will check hands to you, so they are not without a defense.

krazyace5
04-03-2004, 05:02 PM
I agree with the other poster, change tables.

balkii
04-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Its in TOP in the end about recognizing opponents' mistakes. It says something to the effect of 'you face the physcologically upsetting fact that the only time you profit from this players mistake is when you fold and lose the pot to them.'

The money you make comes from not having to pay them off.

Also bluff them a lot its soo much fun. They wait all day for pocket KK then you bluff em out when the A hits the flop.

nykenny
04-04-2004, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard a lot on how to beat calling stations & maniacs, but what is the general strategy against rocks? I play on Pokerstars aka Rockstars. I know being a rock is not the winniest method of play, but a lot of people seem to play that way. So can anyone please enlighten me on strategies to take on a tight-passive table?

[/ QUOTE ]
run. no money to be made. no good money to be made anyway...

lostinthought
04-04-2004, 03:05 AM
It's like going to the bar where nobody is is at...
fun sometimes, but in the long run, no fun..

you should check out other sites for ring games..
i wont mention names, but it should be obvious..

bicyclekick
04-04-2004, 04:06 PM
I think his question is very valid. I'm thinking about dropping down to play party 1/2 so I can get better at beating weak tight. And also party 1/6 6 max for shorthanded.

my usual limits are 3/6 to 15/30, but I wanna get CHEAP lessons.

jdl22
04-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Beating rocks is the same as beating anyone else - exaggerate their flaws. Against calling stations you induce them to call too much (not hard). Against maniacs you let them bet your hands for you. Against habitual bluffers you induce them to bluff. Against strong players you cause them to play stronger. Oh wait, got a little carried away there, ignore that last one.

Rocks fold too much. To beat that you cause them to fold way too much. Bluff into them a lot. When you do bluff much your hand then ask them what they had. Name something better and tell them good fold.

When they raise beware. Even if you have the second nuts it might be a good idea to get out.

bernie
04-04-2004, 10:11 PM
You'll find yourself bluffing/semi bluffing alot more than usual. Since they will fold postflop alot. Position really helps in these games. You have to be aware of when they call. That can be like a raise from them if you dont have anything.

Personally, i like to be the only rock in the garden. Especially when there's nothing but veggies in it with me.

Chips can be hard to recoup in these games so be careful.

b

umdpoker
04-05-2004, 12:17 AM
the only way to break rocks is with a hammer. keep betting, since they like to fold. if they raise, especially out of position, make sure you don't break out the shovel instead, cause you will probably be shoveling chips in thier direction.

Ed Miller
04-05-2004, 04:20 AM

Gamblor
04-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Bet.

El Barto
04-05-2004, 09:23 AM

Ralph Wiggum
04-05-2004, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Position really helps in these games.

[/ QUOTE ] I think this is really key in these games. Whenever I'm to the right of a rock and he calls me down, he ends up w/ a hand much better than I expected. I'm usually surprised he didn't raise.

LetsRock
04-05-2004, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to be aware of when they call. That can be like a raise from them if you dont have anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. I'm a little on the rock side of the agressive scale. (I'm working on this, but the kettle is still black!) If, I'm limpimg from EP, most players would have raised with this hand. If I'm calling your bet from MP or LP, you better be prepared to be afraid. If I raise you, prepare to fold. Rocks don't bluff very much, and even then it will be when they're running very hot and they know they have a rock image.

Check raises are rocks' weapon of choice. We're seen checking and folding so much (and we know that the aggressors are bluffing us quite a bit) so we tend to sit like a snake in the grass when we do hit a good hand from EP.

To beat us, attack, attack, attack! Want to piss us off? Never let us see the flop from our blinds without a raise. It's the few hands we allow ourselves to be a little loose and NOTHING is more irritating to catch a reasonably hopeful hand (like small suited connectors) and then not being able to see the flop.

Rocks won't give you a lot all at once, and playing against a table full of rocks is niether fun or very profitable. Even if you're a complete maniac (betting and raising every hand), you'll win little more than the blnds on most hands vs. rocks. And if you get called, you'll probably lose.

bernie
04-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Many times a rock will let you do the betting for them. So if you're behind them, you can get free cards and showdowns from them. If they reraise, they usually will have something very, very strong.

b

BaronVonCP
04-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Make them fold when they should call.

SinCityGuy
04-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Bluff and semibluff much more than normal.

Open steal in the cutoff and button with garbage hands. If they call you, autobet any flop.

If you're in a shorthanded unraised pot, bet out when an ace or king flops on an uncoordinated, monotone board.

If you're in the big blind and rags flop, bet out (even if you have no pair, no draw).

Playing against a table full of rocks isn't the most ideal condition, but it doesn't have to be unprofitable.