PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on playing tight players heads up?

cianosheehan
04-03-2004, 09:34 AM
In a very general sense, can anyone give me any tips on how to tackle the really tight players, in a heads up situation? I've played a few people recently, who just seem un-naturally tight, and have found knowing the best way to play different hands quite tricky. Is deception the key, on the big hands? Or maybe alot of stealing? Thanks

spamuell
04-03-2004, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe alot of stealing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

cianosheehan
04-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Do you think its maybe not worth your time playing against someone who you cant get proper pots off though? Like, its always nice to have tight players in a ring game, but in a heads up situation, maybe its just not worth spending the time? There are ways of beating any type of player, but for a super-tight player, maybe the time put in isnt worth the reward? Looking for a looser player would be better?

spamuell
04-03-2004, 01:12 PM
I much prefer to play heads-up against a tight player than a loose one. Maybe I just have a different playing style to you but most of the time that I'm betting heads-up, I have very little, and it's certainly preferable for me that my opponent folds than that they just keep on calling me. Unless I'm getting reasonable cards, I find it difficult to beat a loose player heads up, whereas a tight one can usually just be bullied into submission.

NLSoldier
04-03-2004, 02:25 PM
I agree. Tight players are far easier to beat heads up. Especially if they are somewhat passive as well. I know from experince because i used to play HU way too tight myself, I would be run over by my LAG opponents every single time. Just steal a ton and basically be willing to bet the flop and turn as well, regardless of what comes. Once you have gone to showdown with some of your horrible hands they will realize how loose you are playing and at this point you can tighten up a little and they will hopefully pay you off on some of your good hands.

King Yao
04-03-2004, 02:30 PM
always raise if you have the button/small blind. if you find that he folds alot on these situations, then you have a gold mine...all you have to do after the flop (if he calls) is play ok, and in the long run you will do quiet well against players who fold too often preflop.

if he sees many flops but is tight on the flop, then after your raise preflop, you have to bet no matter what cards come on the flop, because if he folds to often on the flop, then he is just giving way too much to you by folding too often.

be cautious of their bets and/or raises. but don't stop betting unless you have a terrible hand, or unless he bets back at you.

the rocktight players in the 10 handed games do alright...but when they play the same way in headsup/shorthanded, they will get destroyed on blinds. it is the loose/aggressive players who may lose in the 10 handed games that become the better players as their looseness and aggressiveness is more correct when there are fewer players.