PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker Pre-Flop raise

jmcfg8
04-03-2004, 01:46 AM
What is the value of raising pre-flop in the partypoker single table tournaments? I don't usually raise until late in the tourney unless I have KK, AA, and occassionally AKs or QQ. My problem w/ raising pre-flop on here is the fact you get so few chips to begin with. Any raise to get out trash hands puts a dent in 800 chips. If you miss the flop its so costly to chase a hand or try and call a bluff. Late in the tournies where stealing blinds is invaluable I raise much more. My question is: How do you handle pre-flop raising on partypoker in the early to middle stages of a tourney? Do you do it often, rarely; if so, why? Thank you

triplc
04-03-2004, 03:58 PM
I think you are on the money. I will usually (read almost always) raise with AA, KK, QQ, AK. Just about every other playable hand (AQ, JJ, TT, other pairs, suited connectors (occasionally), high connectors (occasionally)) I will limp and try to see the flop cheap. I don't want to risk a lot of chips until I have something to work with.

The other problem with raising at Party low-limit SnGs is that there are always 3 or 4 people willing to call a raise of 60-125 with hands like K9o, ATo, 44, etc. So hands like QQ become very difficult to play because it is almost impossible to determine what amount of a raise will help you isolate or win the pot preflop.

As has been stated before on this site, it is usually best during the first three rounds of a Party SnG to just sit back and watch the loose cannons fire away at each other. When you do get a big hand, play it aggressively, but wait until round 4 (50/100) to start making plays at some pots with lesser hands.

CCC

jmcfg8
04-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the response triplc

kazoobean
04-04-2004, 02:05 PM
I usually play very loose on the first few levels, but only if I can see the flop cheap. I will see almost any flop for 15, because I know I can make it back later. You are correct, though, raising is a loser. If you raise you need to be prepared to go in big. ie: have something good. Level 3 I tighten up and become much more aggressive. By level four the reraisers will be much more likely to just reraise the same amount you raised, not ten times as much, like the first few levels.

Joseph
04-05-2004, 07:18 AM
It seems to me that if you feel that you dont start with enough chips.. why not raise ALL-IN instead of raising some small amount or just limping? A worse hand may call. Thats been my experience. I've seen K9o call all-in for his whole stack on th first hand at party. Sure enough he was drawing to 3 outs.