PDA

View Full Version : how many bets did I miss?

aloiz
04-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Alright I’m a recent convert to limit and I think I played this hand poorly at best. No real read on my opponent. My thoughts below.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.66 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.33 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.33 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 8.33 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 8.33 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (8.33 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 3s 3c (three of a kind, threes).
MP3 shows 8d Ad (one pair, eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.33 BB. </font>

I’ll admit I didn’t even think flush draw, and when he capped on the flop the only hands that I put him on were AA, KK, and JJ. Obviously this was a mistake and looking back I think I should have check-raised him on the turn to get a better read. Had he three bet the turn what should have been my play? Anything else that I’m missing?

Thanks,
Aloiz

JTG51
04-02-2004, 11:07 PM
In general, someone is going to have to raise me at least once on the turn or river for me to believe they can beat a set. I'd definitely check raise the turn then go from there.

Homer
04-03-2004, 12:32 AM
I’ll admit I didn’t even think flush draw, and when he capped on the flop the only hands that I put him on were AA, KK, and JJ.

That's far too narrow a range. AK, KQ, KJ, and to a lesser extent QT, a flush draw, or some combination of a pair and backdoor draws are very possible for most opponents. Remember, you're heads-up, and your opponent has position on you. Your flop bet will almost always be raised, and your three-bet will be capped by an opponent with position with any decent hand, to either get a free card on the turn, a cheap showdown on the river, or in some crazy hope of bluffing you out on the turn or river. This will be even more likely to happen in the future when an opponent sees you slow down on the cheap streets, heads-up, with a set. You need to at least throw in a check-raise on the turn before letting up.

-- Homer

Alobar
04-03-2004, 02:18 AM
check raise his ass on the turn! He open raises from MP3, there are ALOT of hands he could be doing that with. You didn't say what limit this is, but I can see a typical party LL player raising like this on the flop with hands as bad as middle pair and a backdoor flush draw. You've got a great hand, play it as such

Bob T.
04-03-2004, 05:22 AM
Probably at least one big bet. Checkraise the turn, but then you might not have been called on the river, so it balanced out.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

colgin
04-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Check-raise the turn here. There is a wide range of hands that you beat that an aggressive opponent might cap the flop with here. If your checkraise gets three-bet you can consider just calling it down. If he just calls the check-raise then bet the river.

bernie
04-03-2004, 04:46 PM

raise the turn. Im not thinking of an overset until it hits about 3 bets on the turn. Some players you can up them on with a single raise on the turn. Given his flop action, i wouldnt think he had a set. Most, far from all, will wait for the turn to come alive with it. Or they might try and do a stop n go with it.

Knowledge of players is helpful. Obviously. Know the range of hands they will jam this type of flop with along with what he'll preflop raise in this spot with.

If he 3 bets the turn, you dont know enough about this player to lay it down. You at least call it out.

b