PDA

View Full Version : 10+1 Party 'formula' vs. cold cards

spazm6666
04-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Okay, maybe this seems more like frustration than asking for some feedback but I made myself wait 24 hrs before posting a possible steaming rant....

Had a bad run last night where i missed the money 6 out of 6 sit n'go's and with exception of one or two supertight folds i perhaps should have made on a flop where i bet out to steal and was reraised I played a tight solid game but was up against better cards, and better flops for other players that wouldn't laydown. I was knocked out 4th 3 times and the others were 5,6 and 10. twice cracked with qq vs.kk preflop, and once kk vs aa preflop. I doubt i played more than 3-4 hands each tourney and just was getting abused. How does one deal with a run like this? How do the better players adapt to bad cards when you know good play is lost to these opponents. There are no scare cards to these players and bluffing will only work when they have no piece of the flop and no draw. FWIW, the streak continues tonight... 2 for 2 out in 10th. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tommy2
04-02-2004, 09:55 PM
I think you have to jump on these bad players early when the bets are cheap. I love playing all types of suited connectors and small pairs aggressively. I tighten up only when I drop to say 600 or so. If you jump out to an early lead (1300+) then players will fold somewhat more often. Basically, though the real game doesn't start until the blinds hit 50/100 so sit tight and wait the fish out.

triplc
04-03-2004, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love playing all types of suited connectors and small pairs aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? If it means playing them cheaply and hoping to hit a flop with trips, straights or flushes then I will agree somewhat if you pick your spots and play them in position. I will try to sneak in with low pairs from any position if the table seems to be willing to let me.

But are you advocating raising preflop with these? If so, I have to strongly disagree. These hands play well multiway, but you still need a very good flop to continue with them. If you raise even 3 or 4 of these hands to 3*BB in the first round and don't hit, then your stack is down to 600-700 chips.

My advice to the original poster is to simply continue playing a solid style and things will come back nicely. I recently had a stretch of 7 straight out of the money, and there were a couple of horrendous mistakes as well as some lousy luck. That's usually the way it happens.

If your run continues, then I would take a break, go back and analyze your play, and see if there are any leaks that you can plug.

Hope your luck turns soon.

CCC

tommy2
04-03-2004, 08:09 PM
I certainly do not mean raise preflop with these hands. But, many players who are on an extended losing streak give up on these hands entirely or don't play them properly after the flop.

spazm6666
04-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Went back and took a look at my play and as well as the play of the others at those tables and saw that I probably should have limped in with a few hands as the other players were definitely playing tight weak and I could have likely stolen a few hands that would have saved me from some of the later all-ins etc etc. So I retuned my play and lo and behold I am back in it. Thanks for the advice. These forums are improving my game daily. You folks here rock.

Michael Davis
04-04-2004, 03:37 AM
I am not belittling you, but missing the $$ in eight straight sit-n-gos, while not happening frequently, shouldn't be all that uncommon.

-Michael

tommy2
04-04-2004, 04:08 AM
Glad to hear you are back on the horse. Now ride that rush!