PDA

View Full Version : Movies - Whose careers hit an early spike and are quickly falling?

Sooga
04-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Vince Vaughn is the obvious one... came out of nowhere and absolutely CRUSHED Swingers. Then what? Nothing, that's what. This was beyond a Brady Anderson 50 homer season. This was a fluke of all flukes.

But, I think Kevin Smith deserves to be up there as well. Hit the ground running with Clerks, slowed down a bit with Mallrats, made a big comeback with Chasing Amy, Dogma was ok, but after that, two pretty bad movies, with Jersey Girl being damn near unwatchable.

I think Harrison Ford is getting to this point too.... hasn't really had any good movies since Air Force One, but since he was so good for so long, I'll wait and see. Who are some others?

scotnt73
04-02-2004, 05:29 PM
i really liked Christian Slater in the 90s. Heathers was one of the coolest movies ever made. havent really seen him around in a while unless ive missed it.

Boris
04-02-2004, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vince Vaughn is the obvious one... came out of nowhere and absolutely CRUSHED Swingers. Then what? Nothing, that's what. This was beyond a Brady Anderson 50 homer season. This was a fluke of all flukes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come out from your cave. Go see Clay Pigeons and Old School. Not exactly a lengthy filmography but he played super cool leading roles in two excellent movies.

scotnt73
04-02-2004, 06:16 PM
what is clay pigeons about?

Glenn
04-02-2004, 06:21 PM
"hasn't really had any good movies since Air Force One"

So Air Force One is a good movie? Have you ever seen ANY other movie? That was one of the worst movies ever made, unless it was meant to be a comedy... GET OFF MY PLANE!!!!!! LOL /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Boris
04-02-2004, 06:27 PM
It's an action/drama flick. Vince Vaughn plays a psycho killer.

ThaSaltCracka
04-02-2004, 06:57 PM
he is probably the best character in Starsky and Hutch.
He also nailed Old School too, funniest in there by a long shot.

I will throw out a couple names though
Josh Hartnett
Heath Ledger
Angelina Jolie
Britney Spears

Sooga
04-02-2004, 07:18 PM
I've seen both those movies, and if you think he was as good in those movies as he was in Swingers, then you're kidding yourself.

Sooga
04-02-2004, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"hasn't really had any good movies since Air Force One"

So Air Force One is a good movie? Have you ever seen ANY other movie? That was one of the worst movies ever made, unless it was meant to be a comedy... GET OFF MY PLANE!!!!!! LOL /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch a LOT of movies. Air Force One is not some classic that will be remembered 100 years from now, but it was very a very entertaining flick. Definitely not a movie anyone should be ashamed to have on their resume.

Rushmore
04-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Let's do directors:

SPIKE LEE
QUENTIN TARANTINO
DAVID LYNCH

I bring them up because all three have made at least ONE great movie.

Now they all just SUCK.

(Sorry, all you Kill Bill fans)

Glenn
04-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Maybe I was a little hard on you. I'm sure you're a good person. However, that movie rivals face/off in terms of pure ridiculousness.

Sooga
04-02-2004, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I was a little hard on you. I'm sure you're a good person. However, that movie rivals face/off in terms of pure ridiculousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps we are not on the same page. Ridiculousness done well still makes a good movie. I'll take a well-made ridiculous movie over a poor 'serious' movie any day of the week. Sure, Air Force One was a little far fetched, and Face/Off even more so, but both were solid, entertaining films.

bugstud
04-02-2004, 08:11 PM
I see your point on QT. As much as I love his set, he nails the pattern. Then again, if KB2 is amazing I may have to change my opinion.

nicky g
04-02-2004, 08:19 PM
"However, that movie rivals face/off in terms of pure ridiculousness. "

Gqh. Faceoff is good BECAUSE it is ridiculous. Ridiculous can be good when it doesn't pretend to be qnything else. As in Blade for instance. Both fun, blatantly absurd films.

Sooga
04-02-2004, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"However, that movie rivals face/off in terms of pure ridiculousness. "

Gqh. Faceoff is good BECAUSE it is ridiculous. Ridiculous can be good when it doesn't pretend to be qnything else. As in Blade for instance. Both fun, blatantly absurd films.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. That was exactly my point in my reply. Read the premise for 'Being John Malkovich'. Can you get ANY more ridiculous? But man, what a fantastic movie.

daryn
04-02-2004, 08:26 PM
are you serious? isn't harrisson ford considered a time tested legend in the acting world?

daryn
04-02-2004, 08:27 PM
also he was in psycho

Glenn
04-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Being John Malk is unique, clever, and interesting...it is nothing like Air Force One.

Mano
04-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Eddie Murphy (a few Disneyesque movies, but nothing compared to his early truley funny stuff)

McCauly Caulken (obvious reasons)

Sylvester Stallone (first few Rocky and Rambo movies good for action, everything since has been crap)

All the "Brat Pack" actors (Judd Nelson, Emilio Estaves, Molly Ringwald, Alley Sheedy, etc.)

thirddan
04-03-2004, 01:27 AM
True Romance is awesome, but Mobsters really sucked...

Christian Slater is the kinda guy that can't hold up a movie without some good support (like Walken and Oldman)

did i mention that True Romance rules?

Cyrus
04-03-2004, 02:20 AM
Made two movies early in his career that everybody and John Cole's cousin say are jus' great and then what? Nothing that's what.

Bah.

krazyace5
04-03-2004, 02:37 AM
Vin Diesel

Steven Segal

Ralph Macchio
(Karate Kid)

Richard Greico(was more hyped than Johnny Depp)

All of the 90210 cast

DonWaade
04-03-2004, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Come out from your cave. Go see Clay Pigeons and Old School. Not exactly a lengthy filmography but he played super cool leading roles in two excellent movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both GREAT roles for him. Also, the movie sucked but he was thoroughly entertaing in "Made."

"Are you strapped. . . . .?" Hilarious

DonWaade
04-03-2004, 03:32 AM
Also "Pump Up the Volume"

Allan
04-03-2004, 03:41 AM
I'm surprised to see Jack Black hasn't been mentioned yet.........

Allan

thirddan
04-03-2004, 04:30 AM
i can't stand that guy...

John Cole
04-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Othello? Chimes at Midnight? Touch of Evil? Mr. Arkardin? The Lady from Shaghai? Ed Wood?

Ulysses
04-03-2004, 06:46 PM
How about Juliette Lewis? I don't think she ever lived up to her early hype.

As for Jack Black, he rules.

How about Leonardo di Caprio? While he's one of the hottest superstars and one of the most sought-after actors today, I don't think any of his recent work has lived up to This Boy's Life, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, or The Basketball Diaries.

Glenn
04-03-2004, 07:23 PM
True Romance, now that's what I'm talking about, brother. That movie rocks. Preach on!

scotnt73
04-04-2004, 09:01 AM
i agree. i will go see any movie with jack black in it. hes one of my favorites. hes the new chris farley. i dont know what about him reminds me of farley but he does for some reason. so if you didnt like farley you prob wont like black. have any of you ever seen his early showtime special with KG? if you can find it you will be a convert.

Josh W
04-04-2004, 04:59 PM
But the dragon money clip that Cage has is awesome...if anybody knows where I can get one, they should PM me and expect a reward.

Josh

TylerD
04-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Kevin Costner.

Bill Murphy
04-04-2004, 08:55 PM
All-time champ in this category, IMO, although it was mainly self-inflicted. Remember, she turned down both Ghost & Pretty Woman.

Saw an interview w/her awhile back. Said the publicity got to be too much, and that she was also tired of John Hughes-type movies. Moved to France to get away from it all. Have to figure she's still got a few bucks stashed away.

Hard to remember what a huge star she really was for about three years or so. Had talent, too; woulda been interesting to see if she coulda maintained as she got older.

Ulysses
04-04-2004, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
have any of you ever seen his early showtime special with KG?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin Garnett and Jack Black? That must have been insane! I will have to track it down.

(Yes, BTW, I do know which KG you are most likely referring to. But, seriously, Garnett and Black. That would be hilarious.)

jdl22
04-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Kevin Garnett in film would get tiring. Sure we can all see that he would have exceptional acting talent. He would be able to act so well that his films would get nominated and go to the oscars. The problem is that once in the Oscars they would never win anything, not even a small award against a bunch of other chump nominees.

thirddan
04-04-2004, 11:49 PM

glen
04-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Did you not like Mulholland Drive?

elwoodblues
04-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Leonardo -- Catch Me if You Can was great; Gangs of New York --- he's made some good movies since the "classic" Titanic. He was fantastic in Gilber Grape.

Rushmore
04-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Glen, I am a HUGE David Lynch fan, seriously. Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Wild At Heart (to a somewhat lesser degree), and The Straight Story (in an obviously different way) are all films worthy of a "great director." Twin Peaks was among the greatest things ever to be on TV.

Mulholland Drive was crap. I don't mean crap in the sense of Maid in Manhattan or You've Got Mail is crap, but it just wasn't up to snuff for Lynch. There's the prurient lesbian stuff that seems indulgent to me, then there's the plot line, which is even more dependent on the supernatural than Lost Highway, if that's possible.

I am always eager to see what he'll do next, though.

P.S. Thanks for sweating me at the 30/60 "Doomed to lose no matter what" table last night. The only hand I won for the entire $1500 loss was the one where you advised me ("Raise. Raise. Raise. Bet."..and I had to suck out anyway).

But at least I got a little sleep.

glen
04-05-2004, 05:14 PM
"Mulholland Drive was crap. I don't mean crap in the sense of Maid in Manhattan or You've Got Mail is crap, but it just wasn't up to snuff for Lynch. There's the prurient lesbian stuff that seems indulgent to me, then there's the plot line, which is even more dependent on the supernatural than Lost Highway, if that's possible."

Ok, the lesbian stuff was a little indulgent, and the first time I watched it I was completely lost in an annoyed kind of way at a lot of the plot. Then I watched it again and did some online David Lynch freak research to kind of get som emore information and then I thought it was excellent. The main thing is the dream sequence, which makes everything more believeable and understandable. While it's not his best, I can't believe how many people really hate this movie. The cowboy in that movie is also one of the best characters ever.. Check out this website: web page (http://dir.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2001/10/23/mulholland_drive_analysis/index.html?pn=1) and web page (http://www.franksreelreviews.com/reviews/mdexplain.htm)

scotnt73
04-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Kevin Smith-when did he become a woman? im very disappointed. i love most his stuff though so ill cut him some slack for this one and hope it was an accident and not what he has evolved into as a director.

WillMagic
04-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Vince Vaughn hasn't really fallen...Old School, Starsky and Hutch...he plays an [censored] really well.

If anybody's on the downturn, it's Kevin Spacey. The guy is far too talented to make the crap he's made recently. The Life of David Gale? Please.

Will

Rushmore
04-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Glen,
I had most of the plot line down already, thank you very much. Some of it still eludes me, but then again, I'm not much smart.

Anyway, I still say that any movie that requires a tutorial and several reference websites to decipher is just, well, not overly concerned with its audience, first.

Secondly, I like to fully enjoy a film as I watch it, not later on, interpreting it.

But that's just me.

I'd be interested to hear how you feel it stacks up against Blue Velvet, which I consider one of the 25 finest films ever made.

Sooga
04-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Yea man... I'm not sure if I hated Jersey Girl so much because it was just a really bad movie or if it was because it was a Kevin Smith movie that I expected to be at least decent. I think it's probably a little of both.

Rushmore
04-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Robert Blake.

Ever since that whole In Cold Blood thing, it's just been bad all-around for him.

And that was, what??--2 years ago now?

Cyrus
04-06-2004, 03:59 PM
"Othello? Chimes at Midnight? Touch of Evil? Mr. Arkardin? The Lady from Shaghai?"

Compared to his first two, these are merely great.

..."Ed Wood?"

OK, you win.

Ulysses
04-08-2004, 06:33 AM
"But I say her on her hands and knees getting filled out like an application constitutes being with a guy."

I miss the old Kevin Smith.