PDA

View Full Version : Trap 'em or Cap 'em?

joker122
04-02-2004, 05:14 PM
I was wondering if I should have not capped the flop and then check raised the turn. I feel like I gave my hand away on the flop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, SB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, UTG folds.

River: (14.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

PokerBob
04-02-2004, 05:18 PM
The problem with setting a trap is that sometimes you catch a skunk, which with this board IMO there at least 10 skunks (several /images/graemlins/heart.gif's, plus 3 J's and 2 K's). With 7 players out there, you want to jam this pot to make them go away.

MarkD
04-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Cap it. Play the hand just like you did. A lot of times that flop 3 bet will be a flush draw with one broadway card and he will check behind on the turn and you miss out on 1.5 bb's. Also, since the pot is much smaller on the river you might not get the two overcalls there either.

J.R.
04-02-2004, 05:20 PM
I'd cap the flop as I would feel sick if MP2 checked a flush draw through on the turn and its not certain your opponents will slow down on the turn even if you do cap as your hand could easily be a pair and a flush draw or a big flush draw with a gutshot or a set pumping the pot.

sthief09
04-02-2004, 05:24 PM
I like capping here too

I don't like playing this hand in this position pre-flop though

Kluddeludde
04-02-2004, 05:34 PM
You played it fine, charge the flush draws.

Fold this one preflop, though.

Kludde

el_grande
04-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Why does capping the flop and then betting the turn make them go away? Nobody is folding to 1 more SB on the flop, but you've got a player behind you that you can force to call 2BB if SB bets out again on the turn.

I'm not saying I know which way is right but I've been thinking about this situation a bit lately and I'm tending to lean toward not capping so you can raise the turn.

joker122
04-02-2004, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cap it. Play the hand just like you did. A lot of times that flop 3 bet will be a flush draw with one broadway card and he will check behind on the turn and you miss out on 1.5 bb's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice read! MP did in fact have K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif for a pair of kings, SB had Ax...

I may have tried to trap if there weren't 2 of a suit on the flop, but then again this situation probably wouldn't have presented itself if this was the case.