PDA

View Full Version : Who else makes this river call?

muzungu
04-02-2004, 04:50 AM
Party 1/2 again.

So: I ($170) limp after a couple limpers with KQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. The whole gang limps. 6 to the flop.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Woohoo! Now: EP1 (good, $100 stack) bets $12. EP2 (loose big stack) calls. I raise to $50. Good so far? EP bails (AQ, he later said- seems like a friendly regular; I imagine that's what he had.) EP2 calls.

Turn: offsuit 6. EP2 checks. I check behind. (good?)

River: offsuit J. EP sets me all in for about $120 or so.

Anybody else tempted to call here? Anyone else actually go through with it?

Thoughts: ok, so EP1 probably folded a Q. I have one, as does the board, so there's only one left. He could have it-AQ or QJ both beat me now. Doesn't seem too likely.

He could have a set. In that case, why call twice on the flop? EP1 is gone, might as well set me all-in now. Ditto for a slowplayed KK or AA.

So, my conclusion: he has the nut flush draw, maybe even with the J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. This explains calling twice on the flop and checking the turn. He knows, ala Mike Sexton, that "the only way he can win is to bet".

So I call, and he turns over: <font color="white"> 42o for the turned str8. Didn't think of that one. </font>

Cheers,

-muz

fourgapper
04-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Perhaps a small (2BB) preflop bet is in order with you acting last (?) after 6 limpers. KQs isn't exactly a weak holding in NL and rasing PF might (1) get out the 42o and similar and (2) let you know where you stand.

(I would not make that call. EP2 calling your raise on the flop with a draw seems like a mistake, even considering implied odds. So my reasoning says he's got QQ beaten.)

Just $0.02 from a beginner (and in hindsight).

4gapper