PDA

View Full Version : Favorite book quotations

jdl22
04-02-2004, 04:32 AM
What are your favorite quotations from poker books.

These are both taken a little or a lot out of context but I laugh every time I reread them:

"You must understand that someone who plays poorly may do so for a variety of reasons. He might be an idiot. He might be drunk." - S & M HPFAP Loose games chapter p. 153

"If you are a TAP (Tight Aggressive Player), particularly and extreme one, you might not like the next few lines, but you should take them seriously. The consequences of your style are fairly obvious.
- You will win consistently as long as you play within your limitations.
- Many people, especially the good players, will respect you." - Dr. Alan Schoonmaker POP p. 267, If you are a Tight-Aggressive Player section

Maybe the two go hand in hand. Perhaps the bad player is neither an idiot nor drunk, he just can't handle winning consistently and gaining the respect of his peers, especially the good players.

What are your favorites?

Beach-Whale
04-02-2004, 09:54 AM
To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Al Schoonmaker
04-02-2004, 02:30 PM

Lost Wages
04-04-2004, 03:12 PM
From TPFAP by David Sklansky:

[ QUOTE ]
...do not raise in no-limit hold'em, especially tournaments, if there is a reasonable chance that a reraise will make you throw up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Acesover8s
04-04-2004, 05:33 PM
I like this one;

Describing a pot limit seven card stud hand Steward Reuben says in _Pot Limit & No Limit Poker_:

"Card six (7 7) K 7 9 7 and Jack (? ?) 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I checked and he bet $15, which I called. The pot was now $45.

On the river I squeezed my last card, but as I hadn't improved, I checked......"

jdl22
04-04-2004, 05:56 PM
That's pretty funny. Too bad an ace didn't come on the river.

onegymrat
04-05-2004, 07:08 PM
With respect to the authors, these may be a word or two off, but they gave me some inspiration and entertainment.

"You win not by the brilliance of your own play, but by the ineptitude of your opponents."
~Lou Krieger, More Hold'em Excellence.

"Loose raise good. Loose call bad."
~John Vorhaus, Killer Poker.

"As an aside, the book was reviewed by several professional players, one of whom is cited on the front cover of the book."
"Nonsense! This is a 30/60 game, not a 1/2 game played by idiots..."
~Jim Brier, defending his book in a couple of 2+2 posts in August 2003.