PDA

View Full Version : Evelyn Ng in the news

M.B.E.
04-02-2004, 04:29 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already, but the CTV National News featured a segment on Evelyn Ng a few days ago. The video is still available on their web site (http://tinyurl.com/3ekj9).

symphonic
04-02-2004, 05:36 PM
How does a guy like Schoenfeld get her? weaaak.

J.R.
04-02-2004, 06:40 PM
I am pretty sure he is independently wealthy

limon
04-02-2004, 07:48 PM
eve is a hardcore, goldigging, pokergroupie. omnipresent in the mid limits of las vegas for a few years, now a postergirl for the wpt. my wife made out with her at the pimp n' ho ball at the palms. she told my wife she was a pimp to high rollers?!?!

M.B.E.
04-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Limon - If that were true it would have been mentioned in the CTV video clip.

J_V
04-02-2004, 09:03 PM
May I never be whooped enough to say my girlfriend has a devastating insight into human character.

astroglide
04-02-2004, 11:53 PM
haha!

PokerPaul
04-05-2004, 09:24 PM
what is the deal with her, she was featured in local newspaper while back here too...on the cover no less.

Is she really such a great player who deserves all this coverage?/ i have never heard of her before......mind you , i don't watch wpt.

M.B.E.
04-05-2004, 09:34 PM
News media feed off each other. One of the ways that news editors decide something is newsworthy is coverage in other media.

It isn't so much that she's a great poker player, but that she's a beautiful Canadian woman professional poker player.

Daliman
04-06-2004, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
News media feed off each other. One of the ways that news editors decide something is newsworthy is coverage in other media.

It isn't so much that she's a great poker player, but that she's a beautiful Canadian woman professional poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more..

WHat has this woman EVER done at the tables, besides look good. That whole WPT thing was a sham. Like Barbara Enright or Cyndy Violette wouldnt have been better choices as better players. Evelyn and Clonie were eye candy that happen to play poker half-decent, that's all. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she could barely beat a decent 10-20 game. Maybe her boyfriend BR's her at higher limits...
Which brings me to my next thought...how many of these "top pros" are what I call "Bankroll pros"? Meaning, how many of them are just good, solid players whose bankroll from other ventures dictates that they can play in huge games and tourneys with little regard or care for the $$$ involved. In other words, it doesn't matter montarily if they win or lose, so they're allowed to be more aggressive and take more chances vs those of us who need the $$$. Not that they suck, but it just makes a guy like me wonder what kinda noise I could make if money was no object.
People I think of in this vein, who all have had sucess, are Ron rose, Phil Gordon, and Paul Phillips.

drewjustdrew
04-06-2004, 11:30 AM
I've never met her. Before I knew who she was, that was my impression of her as well. This media coverage hasn't made me change my opinion. Poker-Ho.

B Dids
04-06-2004, 03:43 PM
The venom in this thread is a little nasty. It's not her fault she's good looking (relative to women playing poker, I don't find her that attractive once she takes those glasses off) and makes a more interesting story for news outlets trying to capitolize on the poker boom.

wm r the rake
04-06-2004, 05:20 PM
she has her own website http://www.evybabee.com/main.htm
if anyone is interested in taking a peek at it

Army Eye
04-06-2004, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Which brings me to my next thought...how many of these "top pros" are what I call "Bankroll pros"? Meaning, how many of them are just good, solid players whose bankroll from other ventures dictates that they can play in huge games and tourneys with little regard or care for the $$$ involved. In other words, it doesn't matter montarily if they win or lose, so they're allowed to be more aggressive and take more chances vs those of us who need the $$$. Not that they suck, but it just makes a guy like me wonder what kinda noise I could make if money was no object.
People I think of in this vein, who all have had sucess, are Ron rose, Phil Gordon, and Paul Phillips.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fair point. I think Goehring would qualify for that bracket too. And we know how wild he plays.

el_grande
04-06-2004, 07:48 PM

Vehn
04-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Oddly enough I also knew a very hot and very slutty asian chick named Eve.

Good times.

thirddan
04-07-2004, 04:03 AM
i agree, she is a lot better looking than some other women poker players, but i think part of it is novelty...she becomes a little better once you find out that she plays, same as a punk rock chick that is decent becomes a litle better just because she is a punk rock chick...

I also think that the WPT Ladies Night was bull, i can think of much more known pros than Evelyn Ng and Clonie Gowen, also the bikini pool party Evelyn interview was kinda pathetic...

Rushmore
04-07-2004, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
she becomes a little better once you find out that she plays, same as a punk rock chick that is decent becomes a litle better just because she is a punk rock chick...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call, dude. Very good call.

Rushmore
04-07-2004, 08:01 AM
I clicked the link, and went to the welcome page, but could not bring myself to continue, as I am hoping to maintain some semblance of dignity in my life, in spite of the popularity of poker at this time.

drewjustdrew
04-07-2004, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure about Evelyn, but the reason Clonie was selected to play was because she had entered at least one prior WPT event. That was the supposed criteria. She finished 10th in Costa Rica I believe.

HajiShirazu
04-07-2004, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I clicked the link, and went to the welcome page, but could not bring myself to continue, as I am hoping to maintain some semblance of dignity in my life, in spite of the popularity of poker at this time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I could not possibly agree more.

HajiShirazu
04-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Isn't Jeanette Lee actually decent at pool though? I mean, I have seen her win some big tourneys against the top competition and all.

Poker blog
04-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Not nearly as hot though.

Anna K....yummy.

CrisBrown
04-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi B Dids,

I'd sat this thread out, but I'll have to chime in and agree here. I think a lot of the venom has to do with a beautiful woman succeeding in a "man's" career. And as a 40-something woman, I've been hearing the "she must be a whore" comments about successful, beautiful women all my life, and from women as well as men.

When I was in law school, there was some debate one day over what kind of jury you'd want if you were prosecuting a beautiful woman accused of murder. The consensus was, you would want an all-woman jury, because they'd be likely to convict her out of pure envy. The professor, who had been a career prosecutor, said that was very true.

So you have men who look at someone like Evelyn Ng and see nothing but a sex object, and women who look at her and are envious of her beauty. Between those impulses, a beautiful woman is hugely unlikely to receive credit for her skill at her chosen profession, whether she's a doctor, lawyer, news reporter, or poker player. She must've gotten to where she is by sleeping with someone....

I don't know Evelyn Ng. I've seen her play a few times, both on TV and online, and she seems to be a pretty good player. Is she overrated? I don't know. Does she get a lot more media attention than, say, Kathy Liebert, because she's "more" beautiful (by some estimations)? Of course. Do Annie Duke and Jennifer Harman get more attention than some other female pros because they're beautiful? Yes, probably.

But that doesn't change the fact that Evelyn, and Kathy, and Annie, and Jennifer are all making a living in a very difficult profession, where most people who try will fail. So I have to respect that, and respect them for it.

Cris

M.B.E.
04-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Well said, Cris. I agree.

toots
04-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Thank you, Cris. It needed to be said.

Although, the one thing separating this from a purely "beautiful woman" issue is that many of those who'd call Ms. Ng a "whore" are also the same who'd spend hours demanding that Chris Moneymaker is a poor poker player.

I think sexism aside, there's a strong need here for people to denigrate those who've achieved some amount of success in the game, and in particular, the newcomers.

Ulysses
04-07-2004, 04:05 PM
There's a little bit of that, sure, but mainly I think the negativity comes from the fact that she is being hyped by WPT primarily because she's attractive, not because of her poker skills. There are many players (both male and female) that have proven themselves to be much better players than her, yet rarely get a mention anywhere.

Sure, sometimes you see some sour grapes about Jennifer Harman because she gets more attention when she is in an event. But, even though she's kind of cute, I don't often see this kind of thread about her. Because she's actually proven to be good at poker. That's not the case w/ Evelyn.

WPT clearly likes to hype the younger, more flamboyant, more telegenic players. That goes for both men and women. And of course there's going to be criticism about that.

PapaSan
04-08-2004, 05:26 AM
a little movie link of her for u horny bastards
http://www.celebritymoviearchive.com/tour/movie.php/8720

astroglide
04-08-2004, 11:19 AM
i don't see a link to actually download for free (i'm only asking because the same site has vida guerra movies...)

Daliman
04-09-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't see a link to actually download for free (i'm only asking because the same site has vida guerra movies...)

[/ QUOTE ]
astroglide, huh...... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Duke
04-10-2004, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does she get a lot more media attention than, say, Kathy Liebert, because she's "more" beautiful (by some estimations)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you running for public office?

Seriously, Kathy knows she's not a hottie, and Evelyn knows she is.

~D

M.B.E.
04-11-2004, 09:15 PM
If anyone wants to watch her play online, she's now at the final three tables of the PokerStars $200+15 with a $250K prize pool.

thirddan
04-11-2004, 09:47 PM
she is now final table chip leader...

M.B.E.
04-11-2004, 09:47 PM
With six players left, she is chip leader.

thirddan
04-11-2004, 10:35 PM
out in 3rd...raised all in from button with AKo, called by BB (chip leader) with 35s, she makes Aces and Kings, he makes flush...