PDA

View Full Version : Average age of green pros - both B&M and online

lostinthought
04-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Hmm.. was wondering if anybody had an idea of what the average age is of someone who plays poker for so long, then decides to give being a professional a shot and moves to Vegas or California? Any B&M regulars have any ideas? My guess is mid to late 20's and upward.

Given that online poker is relatively new, the answer might change in time, but certainly there are people trying to make most, if not all of their income from online poker (plus minus a little BM/home games). At least there are people with day gigs generously supplementing their income with online poker.. what, do you think, is the average age of this kind of 'pro'?

My speculation is that the online player (trying to make it) is younger, grew up with computers, is college educated or is in college, and has seen the world poker tour at least once...

whaddya think? nothing serious - just curious..

bicyclekick
04-02-2004, 02:39 AM
I don't know if I really fit the profile you're looking for as I'd consider myself only an online semi-pro. I'll be turning 21 in a week and am a jr at U of MN: morris. I started playing seriously in december and I've made more then my tuition since then. I'm a computer science major and yes, I grew up around computers.

I will be having a small (4 hours per day) job this summer, just so my resume doesn't have a gap and I don't have to talk about poker hehe.

I average 2.25 hours per day (I keep track)...so I think I've done a good job balancing things.

klagett
04-05-2004, 01:00 PM
I guess I would consider my self a pro because I make a living from poker. (that's the definition right?) I am 20 years old and a college student. I average probably 30-50 hours a week with marathon sessions on saturday and sunday.

nykenny
04-05-2004, 01:25 PM
what limit(s) do u play, how long have you had records (winning), what winrate have you achieved (in BB or $ if you don't min disclosing) thus far?

just curious. and yes, if you make a live playing poker, you are a pro.

Kenny

klagett
04-05-2004, 02:45 PM
I play nl100 on partypoker. I started with an original 75 and have since made a bankroll of 1000 and have never withdrawn money from my own bankaccount although I have canceled a few cashouts. Because I play nl I don't really keep track of BB or an hourly rate but I average 800-1400 a week normally. I have been playing poker for sole income online since August.

lostinthought
04-05-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm glad this finally sparked a little conversation -
for what it's worth (I know you were responding to someone else), I am a recent college graduate, in between graduating and future plans (e.g. graduate school, law school, etc.)

I work full time in an office, but I generously supplement my income playing online part time.

It's kind of a difficult position - I know that it's great having job security, but online poker seems at a peek it terms of money-making potential.

On the other hand, I am at an age where a two year gap on my resume wouldn't look so great to so many people..

I'm sure it's similiar for many people out there..

cheers

nykenny
04-05-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, I am at an age where a two year gap on my resume wouldn't look so great to so many people..

[/ QUOTE ]

resume gap is bad, if you cannot explain; it's worse if your skillset is not up to date for the industry. don't give up life for poker, that's my suggestion.

Kenny

nykenny
04-05-2004, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play nl100 on partypoker. I started with an original 75 and have since made a bankroll of 1000 and have never withdrawn money from my own bankaccount although I have canceled a few cashouts. Because I play nl I don't really keep track of BB or an hourly rate but I average 800-1400 a week normally. I have been playing poker for sole income online since August.

[/ QUOTE ]

for the BR, did you mean 10K or 100K? good job and keep up the good work.

Kenny

MicroBob
04-05-2004, 04:16 PM
"On the other hand, I am at an age where a two year gap on my resume wouldn't look so great to so many people.."

not sure what age where a resume gap like that DOESN'T stick out.
i would say everything between 20 and 60 would qualify in this range, right?

i'm 33 by the way and will 'gapping my resume' soon.....but only for a couple of months if it goes less than spectacularly.

symphonic
04-05-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm definitely not a poker pro, but I am starting to play to build up a bankroll that will be able to supplement my future income, but not be my only source of income. I am currently a 21 year old college student, doing computer networking and whatnot. I'm lucky enough though to have a father who is a top person in one of the top companies in the world, which means getting a nice paying job after I graduate will not be much of a problem. That's why I plan on just playing online to be able to buy myself some extra toys /images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh and another reason I couldn't be a pro is that i'm too prone to tilt :P

Tyler Durden
04-06-2004, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My guess is mid to late 20's and upward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow the way you guessed it to be 95% of the legal population is astounding. Excellent guess.

lostinthought
04-06-2004, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My guess is mid to late 20's and upward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow the way you guessed it to be 95% of the legal population is astounding. Excellent guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I would be a great politician, don't ya think? Quite a 'bush'ism in rhetorical style..

An accident it was -
I think I meant to say late 20's and early 30's.. but I can imagine a whole range of people deciding to give being a professinal player a shot.. but of course, that's imagination - I don't live in a heavy B&M area, and I play mainly online..

Zele
04-06-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, I am at an age where a two year gap on my resume wouldn't look so great to so many people

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the the industry you intend to apply your gapped resume to. It could be an asset.

Kenrick
04-08-2004, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Depends on the the industry you intend to apply your gapped resume to. It could be an asset.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the subject has come up with people who hire for sales jobs, such as car sales and things, they seem fascinated if you say you are/have played blackjack or poker or whatever professionally. If you can get an interview, you probably have a good shot of explaining your "real work" gap along with explaining the discipline and work-ethic and things required to be a professional gambler since it is a form of self-employment.

JTrue
04-08-2004, 11:41 PM
I don't know if there is an average age, you see alot of people who are retired or sold their business giving poker a shot.

JTrue
04-09-2004, 12:00 AM
What is it?