PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a bully

Absolution
04-01-2004, 03:29 PM
So, it was late in a tournament. I had about 5k in chips and this bully had about 14k. He raised almost every pot a large amount (usually more than the size of the pot), but would back down sometimes if someone moved back at him. He was just bullying and trying to steal pots since the blinds were large.

Anyway, I had a very tight image (not that it mattered with these players since I doubt they noticed), and finally it came to him minraising again preflop and folded back to me in the BB. I had K5 suited and decided I had enough of this guy. I called his min-raise. He checked the flop, I bluffed with a large bet and he called. Turns out he had the nut straight on the flop. Just the luck. This guy bluffs almost every pot and the one time I play back at him he gets the nuts.

So, either I was just unlucky or this isn't the way to play a bully. How do you deal with this guys? I should probably just be patient and if he gets lucky over and over so be it. It's pretty risky to bluff these guys because there are difficult to read.

DcifrThs
04-01-2004, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, it was late in a tournament. I had about 5k in chips and this bully had about 14k. He raised almost every pot a large amount (usually more than the size of the pot), but would back down sometimes if someone moved back at him. He was just bullying and trying to steal pots since the blinds were large.

Anyway, I had a very tight image (not that it mattered with these players since I doubt they noticed), and finally it came to him minraising again preflop and folded back to me in the BB. I had K5 suited and decided I had enough of this guy. I called his min-raise. He checked the flop, I bluffed with a large bet and he called. Turns out he had the nut straight on the flop. Just the luck. This guy bluffs almost every pot and the one time I play back at him he gets the nuts.

So, either I was just unlucky or this isn't the way to play a bully. How do you deal with this guys? I should probably just be patient and if he gets lucky over and over so be it. It's pretty risky to bluff these guys because there are difficult to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

well you're not mentioning VERY VERY important stuff here...how many players left? how many to money? where are you in that? whats the avg stack size? how many players at your table? what was the next largest stack at your table? how far were you from them?

in any case, withou tthat info i'll assume late in the tourney and you were already in the money. that being said, if he's gunna be a bully, you don't just call his min raise. you move in on him! that is if you're willing to take the risk he'll call. personally i just wait for a good hot and cold hand and then play it against him UNLESS there are people close to busting out that would move me into a higher money position.

you're play here was bad on all parts because you didn't show any aggression until you LET HIM GET LUCKY!! dont do that!

give some more info and i'll give more opinions...however wrong they may be lol
-Barron

tdomeski
04-01-2004, 03:43 PM
If you are going to play back at him, play back at him pre flop when chances are you have the best hand. . . . post flop you never know what he could have.