PDA

View Full Version : KK.

Bob T.
04-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Online 5-10 game.

EP who bluffs a lot after the flop limps in, folded to me in MP with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif I raise, folded back to EP who calls.

Flop J /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Ep bets, I call planning on raising on a later street.

Turn A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Bet, call.

River 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Bet, call.

How was this line?

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Alobar
04-01-2004, 03:09 PM
ugh, I hate when the turn does that. If he's the type that will play any ace I play it the same way. If he's got pre flop standards and would raise an ace worth playing pre flop, I might go ahead and raise the turn anyway. Then again, if he is the type that will fold a pure bluff or even a lesser hand just calling might still be better because then he might bet again on the river and you net one more BB.

J.R.
04-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Just fine, the turn is either call or fold, and since he bluffs a lot give him the rope. I like the flop check unless opponent is also a tenacaiously aggressive bettor/bluffer and won't slow down a J or bluff that puts you on big cards.

sthief09
04-01-2004, 03:17 PM
I like it. you induced his bluff, and if you raise the turn, you might get popped back or force him to fold. given his tendency to bluff, you'd be forced to call down if he did in fact pop you back with an A.

you obviously know all this though so I don't know why I'm posting

Tosh
04-01-2004, 03:18 PM
I like this line, shame the turn was so unkind.

Quackpot
04-01-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you obviously know all this though so I don't know why I'm posting

[/ QUOTE ]

So quasi-fish like me can evolve. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bob T.
04-01-2004, 03:25 PM
He is exactly, the kind that would play any ace. In fact it says that in my notes about him.

There were at least two hands where he bet every street, and folded to a river raise against other opponents.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Bob T.
04-01-2004, 03:37 PM
I just thought it was interesting after I played it.

biggambler
04-01-2004, 03:51 PM
My last 4 pair of kings have been taken down by an opponent holding an ace rag. I'm not checking that kind of flop for at least a year!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BaronVonCP
04-01-2004, 04:15 PM
A raise may make him fold a no pair hand.

PokerBob
04-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Nice idea, crummy turn.

MarkD
04-01-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm planning on posting a hand very similar to this one when I get home from the gym tonight. I think mine was with QQ, but very similar.

Personally I like it on all streets, but am anxious to read the responses.

On the flop the pot is small and you read your opponent as betting on later streets. Not many scare cards can come on this flop so I think waiting until the later streets to pounce is prudent.

On the turn - there's your scare card. No reason to raise it here as you might be faced with a reraise and now you might be beat.

On the river - well, if that flush card didn't come I would seriously debate raising here. Not many opponents will reraise with an ace and you can't be sure that he has one. Since the flush came it just added another way to beat you and I think just calling is again, a nice simple play that costs you the least when you are behind.

J.R.
04-01-2004, 07:14 PM
But if the flush misses, does a bluff/worse hand pay of a river raise? If not, there doesn't seem to be much value in a river raise as a better hand than KK will not fold to a river raise.

unome
04-01-2004, 07:15 PM
I think I would have played it the same exact way (and been cursing the turn card. /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

See my post. While my situation was a bit different, the good ol' Ace came on the turn, potentially sending my pocket Jacks down in flames.

MarkD
04-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Worse hands will pay off here, especially online, but I am certainly not set on the river raise. It popped into my head and seemed like a very valid play here though, with the board slightly less scary. I think it is as likely that he is betting a jack or a 7 as he is an ace and will probably call with any of them on the river.

MarkD
04-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Ya, I read your post and have been thinking about it. I don't mind the way you played it at all, and against an unknown I would call him down most of the time, but I've also been experimenting with a different line in similar situations recently.

Turn comes ace - I check/call and if he checks behind I bet the river and call a raise. I've had come success at inducing bluffs with this line, as well as getting paid off on the river by worse hands. This is not my normal line but I've been meaning to post an example and get criticism as I am beginning to like it more and more.

Mike Gallo
04-01-2004, 07:48 PM
How was this line?

Against this opponent I like it.

If the Ace did not hit the turn would you have raised the river?

AceHigh
04-01-2004, 07:59 PM
I'd raise on the river, unless you know he won't call if he can't be a pair of Aces.

Bob T.
04-02-2004, 04:20 AM
If the Ace did not hit the turn would you have raised the river?

Yes.

Bob T.
04-02-2004, 04:23 AM
My opponent had JT off, for a pair of jacks, and KK was good. I am pretty sure he would have paid off a river raise, but with the combination of the Ace on the turn, and the flush on the river, I decided to just call on the river.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.