PDA

View Full Version : Best game??

darryl2172
04-01-2004, 02:52 PM
I have been playing online for about 1 year. I have been doing quite well. My question is, which games are the most profitable, and the easiest to beat?? I seem to do better at n/l and p/l games,but is a limit game normally easier too beat?? Just for the record I normally play n/l $50 or $100 which would be the equivalent of 1/2 or 2/4 limit.

LetsRock
04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
I don't think that one game is easier to beat over the other. Standard wisdom says that a very good NL player has a bigger edge over weak players, but you have to be very good to enjoy that edge.

I would say stick to your strength. If you do well at NL, then stay there. You'll likely be very bored in a limit game - it really is a long slow grind.

Personally, I do better at limit and have the grinders menatlity so that's where I spend most of my time. I play a littl NL (because I want to get better) - mostly in tourneys and some in a home game, but my bread and butter is limit.

NJchick
04-02-2004, 10:47 AM
I used to play just Hold Em both Limit and PL. Then I switched to PLO hi - great game if you can handle the swings.

Then a year ago I discovered Omaha/8 and Stud8 and these game BY FAR have the most horrendous players. People do not understand the concept of being locked for a low and being able to freroll. Also you see people just playing 1-way (going hi) can be incorrect in a lot of situations.

I see many more mistakes being made in these games than I do in Hold Em. Personally I think Hold Em is so popular because its the easiest game to learn the fundamentals.

With hi/lo games there is much bigger complexity and you really do need analyze your game better.

If you also learn how to play these games correctly you do not have to wait for hours for a Hold Em game to open up. You can sit in another game (and win) while waiting for the HE game to have a seat avail. You will also be a much more well-rounded player.

NJC

Slingshot
04-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Totally agree!!!
I have no patience for limit due to the "bottom less" pockets that hit on 5th, in micro and low limits. High stakes would be fine but unfortunately i'm in no financial position to attempt. I also switched to Omaha and Stud. I belive these two games require far more observation, with the constant swings. With the injection of newer players (including myself), i have been far more successful. There is some great extra money to be made at these tables at any limit.

GL

NJchick
04-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Yeah its this kind of mindset that will help the skilled player in hi/lo games make money in the long run. Most inexperienced players to split pot formats don't know how to differentiate when they are drawing to 2nd best hi and low hands. Its really just great.

Don't get me wrong -- HE is a great game too - but I really began to see the big picutre when I learned how to play split pot games. It even brought my HE game to a new level just because you are constanly thinking out of the box.

I hope this makes sense.

NJC

M.B.E.
04-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Good post, NJchick. I think you're right that players in split games make more costly mistakes than holdem players. I've been playing the $20 and $30 tourneys on PokerStars and doing quite well, particularly in LOHL. Mostly I just follow the starting-hand advice in Cappelletti's new book, as well as applying general tournament principles. I haven't been able to make money in the ring games yet, however. I've ordered Ray Zee's book on split games and am still waiting for it to arrive.

NJchick
04-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Ray Zee's Book is excellent on hi low games. Read it over and over until the pages fall out!!!

Come say hi to me on Stars. My handle is DILLIGAF.

NJC

Hedge Henderson
04-03-2004, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most inexperienced players to split pot formats don't know how to differentiate when they are drawing to 2nd best hi and low hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not even that. Often, second nut low and third of fourth nut high hands will hold up. The biggest problem the newbies have, once they learn the rules, is that half of the pot means a win to them, not half a win, and they play accordingly. They'll bet like crazy when they think they've got their half locked up, regardless of the number of opponents or the possibility they'll be quartered.

You'll get rivered in LL Omaha/8 just as often as you will in LL hold'em. The difference in Omaha/8 is, because you know what you're doing, getting rivered usually only costs you half the pot instead of the whole thing.

RydenStoompala
04-06-2004, 07:09 PM
2-6 and 4-8 hold'em, 1-2, 2-4, and 4-8 stud, 3-6 Omaha hi-lo are my faves. On any given day the 5-10 hold'em action can be great as well. PLO is a great game, but my earn rate isn't quite up to where I want it. I love that game but holy crap can you run into some monster hands.