PDA

View Full Version : Pot Odds in a Raised Pot

Warik
04-01-2004, 02:22 PM
This has confused me for a while and may explain some questionable play decisions I've made when I thought I was getting the right pot odds.

My question basically is how betting, raising, and calling a raise changes my pot odds.

Some examples:

4 SB in the pot postflop. UTG bets, 2 call, it's on me. If I call I'm getting 7:1 (4SB in pot + 3SB going in to my 1 that I'm putting in).

Now, what if UTG bets, I'm next to act and I call (5:1) and then the next player raises? Suppose the last player and UTG fold. So there's 4 SB in the pot from preflop, I put 1 in, next player put 2 in... so if I call, am I getting 7:1 (pot 4 + his 2 + my 1 to my next 1?) or am I getting 7:2 (pot 4 + his 2 + my 1 to my 2?)... or is it 6:2 because I don't include the one I just put in?

And to further complicate things, how does the above apply if we're talking preflop and I'm one of the blinds?

Amazing that I don't have this stuff down pat by now. I thought I did, but recently found out that I have been in err most of the times I've calculated my pot odds when the pot has been raised.

LetsRock
04-01-2004, 02:48 PM
When calling a raise, you count ALL the bets in a pot. It doesn't matter where the bets came from. If you call a bet and then it is raised, your first bet is part of the pot.

This is, of course, one of the advantages of acting late (preferably last) - you have a better look at what your actual odds will be (less or no chance that it will be raised after you act).

It doesn't matter what street you're on. If you're the BB and are considering calling a raise, you include your posted blind as part of the pot.

One of the biggest factors to consider when calling raises (other then your cards and the pot of course) is "Will there be another raise?" If you're closing the action, you know the answer, but if the raise comes from you immediate right, you need to be prepared for your action if someone on your left 3-bets - now you're trapped between 2 raisers and you could be in for an expensive ride.

Having a good read on your table is critical in determining pot-odds.

Jezebel
04-01-2004, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, what if UTG bets, I'm next to act and I call (5:1) and then the next player raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

In your example you would be getting 9:1 odds if you anticipate UTG calling the raise. Your first bet is now considered part of the pot.

This is why it is important to try and predict what will happen behind you when you are not closing the action. If you estimate that there is a 50% chance that your call will be raised behind you then your odds on you first call would be less than 5:1 since 50% of the time you will be putting in 2 bets. This factor can make the difference between a call and a fold.
However, if you do call and it gets raised behind you, you treat the raise independently of your first call. i.e. you treat it like 9:1 with you closing the action.

Warik
04-01-2004, 02:58 PM
So regardless of position or street, the "numerator" is the total number of bets that are in the pot PLUS the total number of bets the players have put in on this street PLUS the total number of bets I have put in on this street and the "denominator" is the number of bets I have to call (or that I am considering raising) at the present moment.

Makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks!