PDA

View Full Version : Common draws

nihil
04-01-2004, 11:55 AM
I've been trying to commit as much information to memory as possible as I've started to play Hold 'em... Currently I'm working on common hands I might be drawing to so that I don't have to think "Ok... I'm drawing to a gutshot straight or flush, that's 9 + 3 outs so my odds are... 2:1 by the river".

Commond hands I've got so far:
Open straight flush draw -> straight, flush, straight flush (15 outs)
Gutshot straight flush draw -> straight, flush (12 outs)
Flush draw -> Flush (9 outs)
Open straight draw -> straight (8 outs)
Gutshot straight -> straight (4 outs)
Unpaired -> 2 pair (4 outs)
1 pair -> set (2 outs)

That's all I've been able to come up with so far. Are there any other common draws I might want to keep in mind?

A side question: do you find it helpful to think in odds or percentages? Odds drive me crazy but they seem the easiest if you are counting bets and calls.

Thanks

deacsoft
04-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Just try to remember that your number of outs is also dependent on what other players are drawing for. If you have an open ended straight draw but there are two flush cards on the board two of your outs could be considered dead. I see it happen a lot when players don't consider what hitting their outs will do to the board and to other players hands. Just try to be aware of all the action going on and which of your outs are still good.

Good luck at the tables.

astroglide
04-01-2004, 12:21 PM
http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=13913