PDA

View Full Version : Who makes this laydown?

04-20-2002, 12:29 AM
Got back from Canterbury Park a bit ago, played my first 6 12 session ever. About 4 hours (friend I went with busted out), +6 big bets, "ship it". Pretty much what I expected, fairly tight, though some serious crap was occasionally shown down, fairly passive, and pretty weak. I think I'm going back /images/wink.gif Only had one "bad beat", had a few amusing hands like limp-reraising with AA UTG, and of course finding out where the other 2 aces were - just a fun time.

Anyways this isn't just a "look at this hand and tell me what to do" question. Consider where I'm coming from here. Basically the situation is this: I'm totally unknown to everyone at the table other than one guy I've seen before; I only go about 3 times a month anyways. I take a seat at a new 6 12 that's just starting up, a few people say hi to each other, etc. I fold all my hands for 3 orbits other than KK in my SB that I win on the flop w/o a showdown.

2 limpers to me, I limp with KdQh in the cutoff. Small blind (best player at table, or 2nd best /images/wink.gif) completes and 5 to the flop for 1.

Flop:

Kh8s3c

Checked to me and I bet, SB and EP calls.

Turn:

8h

Checked to me and I bet, SB checkraises, EP mucks.

I mucked as well. It "paid off" later when I flopped a set with an UTG raise, and was checkraised by the blind's openended straight draw, which I of course 3 bet.

Well it would have paid off if he didn't hit it on the river /images/wink.gif

p.s. funniest hand of the night by far was me getting AcAd in the small blind and raising 3 limpers. Flop comes J 7 3 all spades, I bet and all call - which is odd as there hasn't been a lot of chasing up to this point. Turn is the 2 of spades, I bet and all fold! woo.

04-20-2002, 02:49 AM
I don't. While it's true that you may be behind to a stiff 8, 33, or AK, I'm still not going to get pushed off top pair in a heads-up pot.

04-20-2002, 04:04 AM
Easy fold. The rainbow nature of the board and the flop call insures you are dead. No six twelve player is setting up this play calling with nothing on this flop planning to raise the turn. he has a hand he thinks is good.

04-20-2002, 04:55 AM
A 6-12 player would think any King is good.

04-20-2002, 03:50 PM
Chances are you are beat here, but against an unknown player, I think you have to call him down.

Given the board, he is probably not on a draw. From the SB prospective, many players will bet anything when they are last to act and get checked to, hoping to steal. They may bet again on the turn when checked to. Since you have been playing tight, he may have decided to take a shot at you and see if you really have a hand. Since you have been playing tight, he may figure both of you have missed, and a turn check raise might let him steal from you.

04-22-2002, 11:59 AM
This is not an heads-up pot. Five players see the flop, three players (including Hero) pays one bet to see the turn. Heads-up all the way, I need *very* good reasons not to get to a showdown with top pair/very decent kicker.

In this particular hand, I would consider checking the turn to induce a bluff on the river or value bet the river. My hand doesn't stand a check-raise on the turn, but if I am ahead I can easily give a free card as I only fear an Ace.

lars