PDA

View Full Version : Betting a missed flush on the river

rivered
04-01-2004, 06:50 AM
I had this situation come up a couple times today, I kept betting and they folded both times. I'll take one specific situation.

Party Poker - $2/4

I have a 4 flush after the flop, ace high. The board is garbage, with no obvious straight draws. I bet on the flop and the turn and one player calls to the river. The flush never happens and I'm thinking, because he never raised and was acting before me the whole time, that perhaps he was on the flush draw as well or even something like an inside str8 draw. I bet and he folded.

AFTERTHOUGHTS

I thought about this play afterwards and I thought that it might have been a mistake. If he was on a flush draw or straight draw and had nothing, than I most likely had him beat with the ace high. If he wasn't on either, he had to be calling with a lower pair (I'll pretend he couldn't have kq or something and was chasing a pair). Basically, if he wasn't on a draw, he shouldn't fold on the river after calling the turn. Since I had ace high, I probably have him beat if he folds. But if he calls, I'm almost 100% going to lose the hand. The only thing I could realistically bluff out is someone with a flush draw and something like bottom pair.

Perhaps this is a very obvious play, and a bet is a bad move but on the other hand maybe it's more player dependent? I'm interested in what others think of this.

Trix
04-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Its player dependant and obviously a bad bet against a calling station, but often a good bet against someone who can fold bottom or 2. pair.