PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hand post-mortem (tournament)

PaulC
04-01-2004, 05:58 AM
I usually play fairly tight in tournaments, less so at the initial levels and somewhat less-so (if stack allows) at the late stages. When I do play a hand I'm fairly aggressive.

Yesterday I was in a hand that i *thought* i played correctly but would sure like some opinions. Before I start forgive obvious errors/newbie faux pas.... it's my first post /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Level 1 of a $20 tournament with only 16 players. I have just over the starting stack about 10 hands in, 1 player is out and 3 others have smaller stacks (only by 10-15%). Few have stacks with 20%+ more chips.

In this particular hand the mid-point player raises after all those leading him fold. I'm the small blind and the only caller (~10% of my stack to call) with KJ - ok by my starting hand rules for this situation.

Flop is a rainbow J J 7

He bets all-in. He is btw the chip leader at 2 x my stack.

I called. We turn over our cards and he has AA.

Turn card is K..... River is A. I lose.

Should I have played this hand at this point in a tournament (i.e. I read the player wrong thinking he was playing a little loose with such small blinds, but playing decent hands aggressively)? Was the bet so unfavourable? On other occasions I would have folded, but I seem to get stuck in the low prize positions playing that way i.e. the best place I get in tournaments is 2nd or third.

Cheers for any comments positive OR negative!

Mike Haven
04-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Very good!

And April Fool back at you, too!