PDA

View Full Version : Playing 3-handed against a guy who literally bets/raises everything

blackaces13
04-01-2004, 05:16 AM
I'm new to this forum because I don't play much shorthanded but this situation came up recently when I was in a game that broke up and this complete maniac sat down and drove all the ring gamers away, me and one other player stayed cause this guy was a dream come true.

He literally bet and raised everything. He'd cap you with 72o preflop, and he'd cap the river with you with a 4 flush on the board without a pair or a card of the appropriate suit. He stayed at the table for maybe 15 minutes which was how long it took him to lose his stack and I only managed to break even with him at the table.

The problem, I think, was that I would always push my small edges. He was to my left and I'd cap with him with any Ace or King. Then if the flop missed me I was absolutley forced to check and call him down even when I ended up with nothing.

Sometimes I'd be the BB and he'd raise it and I'd call him with 78s or something. The flop, turn and river all missed me but at this point the pot was too big to fold, or so I thought, considering he could easily have nothing as well.

My question is, when you have the pleasure of getting a guy like this in this situation, how do you play the heads up pots with 6 or 7 preflop small bets in them when the flop totally misses you. You cant raise for a free card he WILL re-riase and he could have ANYTHING.

What I did was play too many mediocre holdings and call him down every hand. I also raised into him with poor hands to isolate him and drive the other player away with his inevitable re-raise. I wasn't patient enough to wait for the times when I could really blast him cause I knew he could leave the table at any minute or the table could fill up. These are legitimate concerns though aren't they?

Nate tha' Great
04-01-2004, 05:32 AM
The key is to treat it more like a no limit game: it's all about implied odds. If the guy will literally bet and raise with anything on all streets, it would benefit you to see more flops cheaply (and that means cold calling with hands as weak as Group 9, as well as any Ace, and all but the worst Kings, not to say that you shouldn't raise with your better hands), and extract more bets out of him once there are cards on the board, and you have a better idea as to the chance that you are ahead.