PDA

View Full Version : Silly bubble play.

Losing all
03-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Before I post the details of this hand I need to mention that I've been burned many times lately as the 2nd or 3rd stack way ahead of 4th due to the chip ldr making brutal chip giveaways. Looking back knowing you folded a couple pretty clear steal hands because you were on cruise control to an easy 2 or 3 place is very frustrating.

details, 4left, level 3 drawing to a close.

I have around T1500

player to my right has 5000+ gained by chimp like play (flopped trip 2's twice with t2o and 92o, both huge winners) and he hasen't folded, or raised a hand preflop yet.

Player to my left has 300

4th player has around my stack and no bearing on this hand.

I'm dealt JJ in the SB, utg folds, chimp calls. Now there's no way I'm going to limp and let the chimp bet out with garbage folding me and doubling up the mini-stack(allin would be my default play here, but no way against chimp with jacks) So I raise 300 and of course scared rock folds his 50 leaving him 250, chimp calls.

flop KTx. I no longer like jacks and check, chimp checks. I'm so ready to get away from this hand.

turn, J, oh great. Now I know chimp will probably call any bet here with an Ace or Q on the gut shot, and with any kjt, because he has like a big pair. I push, chimp turns over AQ, river blank.

I'm not sure how I could've played it different, maybe limp or mini-raise preflop inviting short stack to get involved? If the short stack has even 500 chips here I make my normal allin figuring I have a much better hand than chimp, and busting out isn't quite as stupid seeing that short stack still has a chance.

What, if anything would you have done different?

ThaSaltCracka
04-01-2004, 01:48 AM
seeing how the chip is going to call regardless of what you bet, I would probably limp preflop.
are the blinds here 25/50?

[ QUOTE ]
turn, J, oh great. Now I know chimp will probably call any bet here with an Ace or Q on the gut shot, and with any kjt, because he has like a big pair. I push, chimp turns over AQ, river blank.

[/ QUOTE ]
don't push here, his check on the flop would seem to show either he is drawing or he is trapping you. Bet the turn, but don't push. Part of the problem is your preflop raise commits you to the pot, you can really only over bet the pot from the flop on if you want him to fold his hand, maybe he does on the flop, but I doubt it.
Basically you are overplaying your hooks, pot commiting yourself, which is probably not a good idea on the bubble.

Losing all
04-01-2004, 02:53 AM
I see what you're saying, if this were a standard bubble situation. Not really pot commited because if I fold(like I had planned on until I hit my set) I still have a 1200/250 advantage over 4th place.

I also couldn't put chimp on a trap, or anything else for that matter. There was no ryhme or reason to any of his plays, truely horrible player.