PDA

View Full Version : Underfull vs. 2 pair on the board

04-19-2002, 02:04 AM
Another one that's been bugging me....

6-12, L-P, I'm in the cutoff.

Dealt 6d6h. 3 limpers to me. I opt to limp as well, since I'm looking to flop a set with this holding. Button, SB & BB all call. 7 players, 7sb (6sb after the rake & jackpot drop).

Flop comes 6s - Kd - 8d. Cool. Flopped my set. I'm concerned about the flush draw, however. BB bets, 3 callers, I raise, button & SB fold, BB re-raises, EP folds, 2 MP callers call two cold. I cap it. BB & 2 remaining callers call. I was hoping to knock out more than just the button & SB; the MP calls make me pretty certain that I'm looking at at least one big flush draw. I figure BB for a King with a good kicker, maybe two pair (K8? 86s? Maybe 88, but I'm not going to waste my time worrying about set over set.) On the other hand, he's one of the more aggressive players at this relatively passive table, so he could be pumping it with a big diamond draw of his own. Regardless, 4 players left, 23sb = 11.5bb.

Turn is a beautiful King. I'd rather have seen an 8, since I figure it's less likely that someone's holding a single 8, but I'm just damn happy that it's not a diamond. This is a good-sized pot. I want to win this thing NOW.

Checked to me. I bet. All 3 call. Damn. (On second thought, woo-hoo! Keep drawing dead to those diamonds, boys....) Still 4 players, 15.5bb.

River is another 8. Final board is 6-K-8-K-8. Damn. Sure, I've got a big hand, but that's only relative. Anyone with an 8 or K has me beat. Amazingly, it's checked to me! I ever so briefly contemplate a value bet, but I just announce "full house" and turn my cards over. The other 3 players muck. I win. (My mistake in not waiting patiently to see what everyone else had been calling with....)

Here's the question: When it appears that you're looking at something like a probable flush or (maybe) str8 draw, how aggressive should you be on the river with two pair on the board? While heads-up it might make sense to go ahead and bet, should I automatically take the free showdown here against multiple players? Given the passive nature of the game, I might have gotten one of them to call "to keep me honest," but I was concerned that the only hands that would call would be someone with a holding that would beat me. I was amazed that with 3 callers on the turn, not one of them had a single King, which would have given them top pair on the flop, trips on the turn, and the second-nut hand by the river.

Comments?

04-19-2002, 03:28 AM
I would always check the river here. I don't think you made any mistake in the play of this hand.

04-19-2002, 12:37 PM

04-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Notice you will need to be called by someone who has NO piece of the board at all. They would have to be pretty TENACIOUS to call you with say a pair of TTs or a stiff Ace. If so, go ahead and pucker your underpants and bet.

Generally however, this sure looks like a checking hand to me.

I'd sure like to see what 4 players have on a capped flop that doesn't feature top or 2nd pair... Maybe they ALL had a flush draw in which case 4 players were drawing 2 or 3 cards between them. Gotta love holdem.

- Louie

04-19-2002, 01:45 PM
I agree with the others. Good play. You're likely to be called or even worse, check-raised, by a better hand.

04-19-2002, 03:08 PM