PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Hands from US 2+2 SnG

FloppedFlush
03-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks for welcoming me last night. Since you encouraged me to make some posts as I try to improve my game, here's a few hands which were instrumental in knocking me down from a comfortable chip lead to going out in 4th that I'll open up for any comments.

Hand 1

5 players left blinds; 200/400 with 25 ante

I have T14,565, everyone else has between T2,000-4,000.
Folded to me on the button with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, I raise to T1,200. I've been playing pretty tight and the majority of my raises have simply taken down the blinds, although I did fold TT a few cycles earlier when I had fewer chips and KURN went all-in over the top.

Here, KURN goes all-in from the small blind. He started with T3,925, so it's T2,700 more for me to call. I figure I'm getting about 2-1 on my money if I call (adding it up more exactly after the fact, I get 5,625/2,700=2.08:1)

I decide to call thinking that the pot odds are plenty good enough unless he has a pair of 8's or better, and even if he does have an overpair, I've got the type of hand that fares least poorly against a big pair.

Result: KURN has KT and I don't get lucky.

HAND 2

A few hands later, still 5 players, I have T10,165 in the big blind after posting the blind and ante. Folded to Ruddiger in the small blind who moves all-in for a total of T2,405. I have A /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and call. I think with a raise from the small blind, I'm probably ahead at least as often as I'm behind, but I think one of my major problems is a willingness to gamble in marginal situations where it's not really necessary. So just a reality check - is this an OK call?

HAND 3

We're now down to 4; blinds are 300/600 with T50 ante
KURN has built a nice chip lead with T11,600. The rest of us are pretty close. I have T4,810 and the other two stacks are T5,980 and T4,610.

Folded to me on the button and I move all-in with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. KURN calls with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gifand I'm done.

I think this was my biggest mistake of the night. I justified it at the time by saying that I was playing the percentages and with two random hands behind me, my ace-high was probably the best of the three. The problem is that any time I get called, I'm most likely dominated. At other SNGs, there might be people who call all-ins with KJ, but I don't think there were any in this tournament. So if I get called, I'm going to have either one overcard against a pair, or be dominated by a better ace. So if I'm going to try to steal the blinds, I'd be better off doing it with a hand like 96 where at least both of my cards are likely to be live if I get called.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. I hope to play and post more in the future.

FloppedFlush

William
03-31-2004, 09:12 PM
FF, WELCOME TO THE FORUM /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif

heyrocker
03-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Hand 1 I would probably fold in a heartbeat. I would not calulcate it in terms of 2:1 odds, I would calculate it in terms of 20% of my stack on a hand where I'm 95% certain I'm an underdog.

Hand 2 I call every time in that situation, so no problem there.

Hand 3 is a tough one. I don't think you're desperate enough to push here yet. 4800 at 300/600, I would've done the standard 3X raise and taken it from there. Anyone who would fold to the all in will almost certainly fold to this too, and if you get reraised you can bail and still have enough to fight with (just barely.) I have this same problem, overplaying marginal hands in not quite desperate situations when a smaller raise will do the job just as well and leave me more options. This really is a judgment call though, there are others here who will say that if you're going to put 1/3 of your stack in you may as well push (my personal guideline is 1/2) and I'm not going to say they're wrong.