PDA

View Full Version : PokerStars NL 5+.50 sng - did I misplay this?

nittany07
03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
First post here but a very frequent reader. I mostly play limit but am attempting to "graduate" to NL. I wanted to get others thoughts as if I played this hand correctly.

I was playing a 5+.50 NL sng last night and made the final 3. Both of my opponents seemed like decent players. Approximate chip counts before blinds and antes (100/200 25 ante)...
Me - 3500
Chip leader - 9600
Short stack - 400

The following hand came up with me on the button, chip leader in small blind, and short stack in the big blind.

I was dealt k9o, I raised it to 600. Chip leader called and short stack calls allin.

Flop came 982rainbow. Chip leader bets 1000.

He's representing to me that he has a hand but the size of the bet was confusing to me. I figured he had a good hand but one that he might get away from if I raised. Actually I wasn't quite sure what he was representing but didn't think he was bluffing.

I think calling was a bad decision as the size of the bet commits me to the pot so if I chose to play I feel I should push it. Folding would likely get me an automatic 2nd though because I assume he's in a better position right now than the short stack. But if I push and he calls and I take the pot, I'm about even with him to play headsup. The worst thing that can happen is I lose to both of them (which IMO is unlikely with top pair, 2nd best kicker) and finish 3rd.

I thought about it a while and raised all in because I felt like I had the best hand. He called with t9o (which I think was a bad play on his part unless he thought I was bluffing although pot odds may have justified it).

Results are inconsequential to the decision but he did spike a 10 on the river and small stack had a5s and got no help so I finished second.

Since the payouts are 50/30/20, I think it made sense to make my move there since difference between 2nd and 3rd is small. I'm just curious as to what others would have done.

Looking forward to comments.
Geoff

Steven Punk
03-31-2004, 05:43 PM
1st welcome.

I'm going to touch on detail others may miss but it is your 1st decision of betting $600. $400 puts the BB all-in so does extra $200 make a big difference in which hands the large stack in the SB comes? IMO the answer is no, so the additional $200 just increases your exposure if you run into a strong hand by the large stack and means it takes a larger bet on flop to get him out. Also if there is no side pot the 2 of you may decide that with no additional chips already invested to check down to knock out the short stack even with top pair where over cards may come.

In the long run there is a big difference between 20% & 30% winnings. More importantly getting hands of experience headsup even if you still take second will pay dividends later.