PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive for my own good?

cjx
03-31-2004, 03:36 PM
I played two hands the past couple days at Foxwoods that made me think immediately afterwards that I had played them incorrectly. I'll recount the one I remember the best:

5-10 Kill Foxwoods
Kill Pot. Hero has QcQd in MP, folded to me and I raise, one very loose passive fellow calls as does the BB who I think is a reasonable player.

Flop QhTc7c I flopped the nuts, BB checks to me, I bet, LoosePassive calls, BB check raises which says me to flush draw probably to the ace, but I don't really care what it means because I know I am ahead, re-raise, LoosePassive thinks and reluctantly calls two, BB caps, I call, LoosePassive calls

Turn 4c(QhTc7c) BB bets out, what's my play?

Results to come after some responses.

cjx

bisonbison
03-31-2004, 03:38 PM
Call. You're probably behind, if you're ahead you're not in much danger, and you wouldn't mind mr. loosepassive calling behind you to help pay for your outs.

Nottom
03-31-2004, 03:42 PM
If BB would do this with a flush draw yet play a big hand (a smaller set for example) slow I don't think there is any shame in calling him down, but I don't think a raise can be very wrong either with somewhere between 10 and 17 outs if you aren't still ahead.

Richie Rich
03-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Your trips may have just been "killed" by another player's flush draw on the flop, but you've still got 10 outs to make a boat/quads on the river. Not sure if I did the math right, but it seems like there are 9 BB in the pot. If that's the case, since the pot odds are considerably bigger (9:1) than the odds of you filling up by the river (4:1), it's an EASY call.

bisonbison
03-31-2004, 03:55 PM
well, the question is more call or raise than call or fold. Anyone folding in this spot should renounce his family's name and wander the earth disgraced and unloved.

sthief09
03-31-2004, 05:50 PM
oedipus reference? damn I'm cultured

bisonbison
03-31-2004, 05:51 PM
No, but anyone folding in this spot is one sorry mf.

sthief09
03-31-2004, 06:15 PM
[censored]

cjx
03-31-2004, 06:39 PM
Well, I raised, I wanted to see what BB would do and figured worst case scenario I am drawing to my boat or longshot to my Q high flush which, again, longshot could be good.

In hindsight I think it was definitely wrong though since I should have known LoosePassive wanted to stay in, but couldn't call my raise AGAIN after the flop was capped and now the turn has that same potential. I think it's a clear call if I can count on LoosePassive calling (which I feel comfortable I could have) although it will leave me a little uninformed going into the river vs raising and getting a reaction from BB. I don't think I'm capable of laying it down on the river assuming a blank drops though if I just call so maybe raising is better in the sense that if I get 3-bet I can fold on the river if unimproved.

So, back to the hand, I raise, LoosePassive folds, BB calls which puzzles me a little.

River is 8c(4cQhTc7c) putting four clubs on board and giving me a Queen high flush. BB checks to me and now I'm totally confused as to what he has.

What to do, what to do...
cjx

Nottom
03-31-2004, 06:48 PM
Call me crazy, but I bet.

Its hard to put him on a hand with the A /images/graemlins/spade.gifthat he would play that way and then not 3-bet the turn with. If he has the K /images/graemlins/spade.gif and wussed out on the turn he won't raise you here either. I suppose he could have J /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the straight flush and got scared on the turn, but I think his most likely hand is either a smaller flush or a smaller set.

DonWaade
03-31-2004, 07:45 PM
I agree with Nottom. I would bet, it you are raised maybe you have a decision but given his action of just calling your raise on the turn and then checking to you on the river. I would have a hard time believing that he is setting you up for a check raise. So bet. He will call and I still think that you take this down.

BTW, good post, compelling hand