PDA

View Full Version : Too tight in NL

Non_Comformist
03-31-2004, 03:06 PM
My PT population for NL is still extremely small (4200) so thus far I haven't put too much stock in any of the numbers.

One stat however that has caught my attention, which has also been very stable, is my Vol$inPot. Right now I am at 10.5%. Which just based on my limit experience seems low. I wonder if I am missing out on too much value in favor of reduced variance which is also certainly a result. On the other hand could one make an arguement that because the implied odds in the loose NL games are so high compared to the preflop investment required, players can afford to and perhaps should wait until they have a maximized edge.

Edit: I think looking at the % by Pos is more relevant
SB 20.5%, UTG 6.8%, UTG+1 9.9%, MP1 6.3%, MP2 6.8%, MP3 9.4%,
LP1 9.6%, LP2 11.1%, Button 14.5%

Im not sure what's up with UTG+1, guessing its just based on a small sample size.

Thoughts and comparrison's appreciated.

ohkanada
03-31-2004, 05:31 PM
The numbers do sound low. I find I can play more hands playing NL than when I play limit. Of course the type of game you are playing makes a big difference. If most hands are being raised then that will cut down the types of hands you are playing. In early position you want to play less hands since the potential for raises are much greater. In late position you can play many 2 card flush/straight cards. Of course if you do that make sure you don't lose your stack on 1 pair.

Implied odds give you the ability to play more hands because you have the ability to take down a big stack with a small pre-flop call.

Ken Poklitar

CrisBrown
03-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Hi Non-Conformist,

Yes, I think you're probably playing a bit too tight. If the money is deep (i.e.: big stacks relative to blinds) you can play a lot more hands than you'd play in a limit game, simply because the implied odds are so much better.

That having been said, it's equally important that you not play hands or situations that you don't know how to play. Wednesday night at 11pm (EST) was one of my favorite times to play, because people would come charging in after watching the World Poker Tour, and try to play like Layne Flack or Gus Hansen. Of course, they didn't have the skill to play that style of poker, so for me it was like standing at an ATM.

And I think that's an important factor in evaluating the advice you read here. Some of it may be good advice for someone who has the experience to apply it well, but terrible advice for a novice.

And there is also a matter of personal style. You may be comfortable with a style that I (or someone else) couldn't play well, and vice versa. As Howard Lederer says, trying to imitate great players will probably be a disaster. You have to find your own style, and develop the skills to play that style well.

Cris

Non_Comformist
03-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the advice Chris,

I think I am going to stay the course for the time being for exactly the reasons you mentioned. This is only my second week on NL play so I think it would be good idea to concentrate on playing these 10%-11% and then worry about the rest.

I appreciate the help.