PDA

View Full Version : Outdrawn

iash
03-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Greetings all, relative newbie here..

I play on pokerstars and usually play 1/2 rooms. I find myself FREQUENTLY getting outdrawn, usually on the turn but sometimes on the river as well. I don't play garbage hands.

For example, if i have made top pair with a decent kicker I'll usually make what I think is a decent post-flop bet (anywhere from $3-$5, depending on the size of the pot.) I may also make a similar bet on the turn. Am i allowing poorer players to chase by not betting higher? Should I welcome this?

I realize there are many unknown factors in these situations, but any advice? I feel like this may be a flawed aspect of my game.

Thanks

eee
03-31-2004, 02:55 PM
You need to look less at the cards and more at the players. Are they drawing against you because they are loose or are they setting you up knowing you pay off. Are their draws strong? If so that is how it goes. If not do they think they can out play you? Are you a consistent player. If so you should play limit not no limit,

e

jdl22
03-31-2004, 02:58 PM
Welcome to the forums. It seems there are lots of newbies these days which is great. Hope you lot stick around.

It is generally good to bet or raise the pot. If you find that people are calling down too much raise more than the pot. If this is happening you welcome these calls as it's theoretical money in your pocket.

If you are betting $3-5 into pots over $10 that is a pretty big mistake. As I said earlier bet the pot or more. That means you will be betting a lot more on the turn and river than you did on the flop. Especially if the stacks are deep you could be giving them odds to chase.

Hope this helps.

ohkanada
03-31-2004, 05:24 PM
I think you need to give examples. In general betting the pot or close to is correct when have decided to bet. There are reasons for betting more and maybe even less, but don't make limit type bets that give your opponents big odds to outdraw you.

If you make your opponent make a mistake by calling you and they still suckout, you have done your job.

Ken Poklitar

SpaceAce
04-01-2004, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am i allowing poorer players to chase by not betting higher? Should I welcome this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are betting the size of the pot you are not giving anyone odds to chase anything except the most powerful draws*. You can't do anything more than make sure it is a mistake for your opponents to draw against you. If they draw against you and hit a 6:1 shot getting only 2:1 from the pot, they've made a mistake. Just be sure you aren't paying off every time he makes his hand. If your opponent can get your whole stack every time he hits, he can draw to anything justified by the chips in front of you.

SpaceAce

* Assuming the pot is heads-up. If you bet the pot and three people call, the fourth person is getting great odds to chase a lot of stuff.

iash
04-01-2004, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to give examples.

Ken Poklitar

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok i'll give an example which was not an actual hand, but should illustrate my question.

Hero's Hand: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Blinds are $1/$2. I'm on the button and raise to $4 (total).
All other players fold execpt for "Chaser" who calls.

Pot is now $11. Flop comes:

A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

At this point I would typically bet about half the pot, or $6-$7, which according to prior posts is too little.

Chaser calls, turn reveals another "nothing" card, etc.

At this point sometimes i would make another bet $5-$10, other times just check (which i'm guessing is the ABSOLUTE incorrect move). Also I'm thinking at this point, what if my kicker is beat?

Hope this helps a bit.

Dave