PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Made it to 1BB/hr

04-18-2002, 01:01 PM
Have only been keeping stats since last Winter, and between then and now have only logged about 170 hours (don't have the spreadsheet in front of me now). I'd played a bit before keeping stats and feel as if I had been a winning player then, but I'm only sure about the numbers since last Winter.

Still, I feel great and motivated to continue playing and learning. Had it not been for keeping a statistical Excel spreadsheet I would have not known that I was doing as well as I really was. Furthermore, I play LL games from 3-6 to 6-12 mostly, and the main place I play has a 10% up to $4 rake with a $1 jackpot drop and we toke the dealers and waitresses ... which makes my 1BB/hr a fairly significant winning rate IMHO.

Anyhow, sorry to gloat here but the session I added to the ledger last night finally pushed me to the magical 1BB/hr and I had to tell SOMEONE! (Wife could care less about the statistics so long as I win more than lose.)

04-18-2002, 02:29 PM
Congratulation Gomez,

One question if I may? Is that one BB of $6/hr or one BB of $12/hr? Or a proportional average using the percentage of 3-6 vs 6-12 games you play?

I have always wondered how people figure their hourly win rate in Big Blinds when they play different limits.

A good example for me is suppose for two consequetive years I won approx. $36K playing no limit 99% of the time for a total of 400 hours each year. Yet I played some 4-8 for about 20 hours each year. Is my hourly win rate stated in BB's 10.71 BB/hr based on my 4-8 play or $85.71 per hour?

Jimbo

04-18-2002, 02:48 PM
It's an average over time.

Say I play a 6-12 session for 10 hours and win $120. Fairly obvious - that's 10 big bets won in 10 hours, so 1BB/hr. The next day, I sit in a 3-6 game for 10 hours and take down $30 so for that session I just made .5BB/hr. So, I've played a total of 20 hours and now average .75BB/hr.

I use a custom computer spreadsheet that calculates total BB won, standard deviation and a lot of other stuff. I also enter comments about each session (i.e. "too loose and aggressive toady"). Very handy, and it's all automated. When I come home from playing I simply enter in how much I won, what the structure was and how long I played. Then everything updates and I get a pretty graph and everything.

As for BB and no-limit, well, "BB/hr" statistically means "big bets won per hour" in a fixed-limit game (you may have thought it meant big blind per hour?) So, if I play a 6-12 game and average .5BB/hr in that game then I am winning $6 per hour while I play a 6-12. As for NL, I have no idea how you'd track that as I don't play NL.

If you want I'll email you my spreadsheet but it's optimized for fixed-limit.

04-18-2002, 02:55 PM
I also enter comments about each session (i.e. "too loose and aggressive toady").

jeeze, youre hard on yourself

04-18-2002, 04:46 PM
Congradulations!

I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't mind e-mailing me a copy of your spreadsheet.

My email address is divey@esclab.com

04-18-2002, 05:22 PM
see ya at your next BB per hour...

way ta go. feels good doesnt it. especially when ya have proof against the naysayers who think your 'gambling'.

b

04-18-2002, 05:26 PM
Still feels a little uneasy at times, especially those sessions when I lose dozens of big bets. Again, seeing the cold hard numbers that do not lie makes it all easier, and it's sure nice to sit down at a table and be able to expect to win.

If and when I get to 1,000 hours and I'm still posting a winning record ... well, then I'll truly be proud. Until then I'll keep wearing out my copies of poker books between sessions.

04-18-2002, 10:23 PM
Go-Go: Congratulations! I remember a post you contributed a while back in which you talked about a game that was double and triple straddled. If a fair amount of time is in these types of games, this is an even bigger accomplishment...john b

PS: I am about to join the increasing ranks of corporate employees known as 'downsized.' there is an outside chance i may end up in dallas. if so, i may e-mail you about some of the private games there...

04-19-2002, 03:01 PM
GoGo--

Have you taken a look at Stat King from Conjelco? I've been using it for a year or so and like it way better than a spreadsheet.

IttyBittyWussy