PDA

View Full Version : Woa - Big Difference in Skill Level

Gh0stBuster
03-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Hi, I play $10+1's on Party and was placing about 79% or more of every tourny I placed in, mostly 1st. So I decided to move up to $20+2's. The first one I play in right away I notice a difference in skill level. Then a few hands in I get AJ and min. raise, 4 see it. Flop comes A 3 J. Check, Check, I bet 90, fold, fold, guy to my left raises me to 180. I think for a second and re raise allin and he shows 3 3 for a set. From what Ive learned $20+2's arnt as profitable as $10+1's simply because of the jump in skill level. Comments - thoughts?

La Brujita
03-30-2004, 11:03 PM
My only comment is you are nuts if you think you were placing in 79% over any statistically significant time period. Add to that that you say they were mostly firsts and I just shake my head.

Especially since you are mini raising early with AJ.

Tosh
03-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Noway have you placed 79% of SNGs over any kind of period.

lostinthought
03-30-2004, 11:24 PM
These kinds of moves happen all the time in no limit tourneys..
you make a great hand, have no read on your opponent, and end up having second best..

I wouldn't use this one case as a generalization.. I've had the something similiar to your example happen to me in $5 sngs.. does that make $5 players any good? not really..

I too, am a bit sceptical about your win percentages, your sample size might be too small..

that dosen't mean these level tourneys aren't profitable and a great place to learn some skills..

*Ryan_21*
03-30-2004, 11:46 PM
I don't really see how you get this. I dont see that much difference in skill level on party sng's from $10+1 all the way up to the $100 level.

How may $10+1's did you play? I mean what is your sample size for your 79%? Also, is that the only $20 you've played? I mean I dont think you can make a judgment on one sng that you got busted on top 2 against a set. One $20 loss doesnt make them tougher or less profitable. They should be more profitable over the long run even if your rate of return goes down slightly. And I certainly don't see that much difference in the skill level between the two.IMO.

Ryan_21

VarlosZ
03-31-2004, 05:52 AM
$30s are slightly tougher than $20s are slightly tougher than $10s. I don't know about the $5+$1s, but nobody should be playing those, anyway.

In my experience, the first significant jump in skill comes at the $50+$5 level -- which would make sense, as that's where the deeper stacks kick in (1000 as opposed to 800), which should attract better players. I've never played above the $50+$5 level, so someone else will have to hold forth about that.

I wouldn't suggest moving up to the $20s until you have a lot of experience in the $10s (or unless your bankroll is such that you don't mind losing while you learn). I really don't mean to sound condescending but, as someone else pointed out, you shouldn't be mini-raising w/ AJ in the first few stages (you rarely want to mini-raise at all, actually, and AJ is not a raising hand early on).

There are many threads in this forum about beating the low-limit SNGs on Party, and many skilled people who will answer questions about your play. Good luck and godspeed.

Cptkernow
03-31-2004, 08:11 AM
I have found that at the 50s on Party there is still at least 2/3 of the table willing to commit poker blasphemy at any opportunity.

I also have a suspicion that the 50s at party have gotten softer over the last couple of months.

As I play fiftys but am allways looking at the next level ( I have worked my way up from the 10s) I am intrested to hear about the quality of play at the 100s.

steeser
03-31-2004, 11:50 AM
I don't notice much of a difference in play in the $100 SNG's from the $50's. The $200 also can be played pretty poorly sometimes. Generally when you get down to the top 5 in the $200, there is some solid play going on and a lot of stealing.

William
03-31-2004, 12:08 PM
I was going to be quite sarcastic here, but then I read the 2 first replies and it became cleared to me that you had becomed a joke without my help.

Nice story though, but it should have a happy ending.
Perhaps in "Ghostbuster does the 30$ SNGs" you will ride away with all the money /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for making me laugh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif