PDA

View Full Version : Fighting through a funk

fastpitch
03-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi,
I've been splaying SNGs for just over six months and have done very well at the $5 and $10 levels.
Until recently.
It started just about three weeks ago at Ultimatbet, where I went into a strong funk.
A lot of it was bad cards, then it became a matter of playing too tight and then too loose.
I know confidence and aggressiveness has a lot to do with these things and sometimes you start to lack.
I haven't been making reads well lately and I've been paying the price.
I recently went to Party Poker and have tried the playing tight thing, only to find myself nearly blinded out of many tournaments.
Yes, I'm whining.
I like to win and I hate to lose.
I understand that there are spells when cards run cold or when you seem to always lose your 50/50s (lost JJ all-in late to AQ today when a Q popped up on the river) and I've had KK cracked six of the last seven times I've had them.
I'm not trying to whine here because I know I've won my share.
My question is -- what do you do when you hit a funk to get out of it?
Do you play even tighter?
Do you loosen up?
Do you walk away from the tables for a couple of days?
What's the best way for you?
Thanks,

La Brujita
03-30-2004, 11:08 PM
I don't think you are whining and I think they are good questions. I had two rough weeks in a row and was starting to lose confidence so I just took a week off. It is hard to regain your confidence and I am still questioning how good I am.

What I am trying to do is get back to the basics, bet with a good hand, don't slowplay much or get to cute.

I am just concentrating on playing solid fundamentally sound poker and just worrying about getting my money in with the best of it.

The other thing I am doing is replaying every tournament I play with the PP replayer. It is very helpful.

CrisBrown
03-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Hi fastpitch,

You're not whining, and welcome to the realities of poker. The very best players go through dry spells. The narrower your edge, the longer and more frequent your dry spells are going to be.

As for how to handle it, yes, take some time away. Let the emotional bruises go away. You might try playing some ring games for awhile, as a change of pace. Or try another kind of poker (stud or omaha) for awhile. You can use the time away to read here, think about your game, reread a favorite poker book, and try to "recover the mindset."

When you are ready to go back to SNG play, observe for a couple of days before you start playing. Try to read every hand, and say it aloud, then ask yourself why you made this or that read, and whether you were right or wrong. Also try to read each player -- loose or tight, passive or aggressive -- and try to predict how they'll react to specific bets. Especially focus on the players who are winning at the level(s) you'll be playing, both to scout them and to try to learn from their success.

I think if you do this, by the time you sit back down at a table, you'll have your confidence back, and you'll see the results in your play.

Hope this helps. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cris

*Ryan_21*
03-30-2004, 11:52 PM
Well first of all, good for you on game selection. IMO, there is no reason to play at a place like UB when there is a fishParty err....I mean PartyPoker around the corner.

As for you question. The best thing to do when you run bad is just quit for a little while (and I do mean little) Go get drunk for a couple nights, or go out of town, or go on a cruise, or get laid (repeatedly if possible). Just do something for 3 or 4 days and don't think about poker at all. It always works for me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ryan_21

*Ryan_21*
03-30-2004, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go get drunk for a couple nights, or go out of town, or go on a cruise, or get laid (repeatedly if possible).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, do all four at the same time if possible!

Ryan_21

*Ryan_21*
03-30-2004, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can use the time away to read here, think about your game, reread a favorite poker book, and try to "recover the mindset."

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think its good to take time away but still think/read about poker? I always took time away and completely seperated poker from my life for a few days. Then when I came back I always felt I could start fresh. I guess whatever works best for the individual. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ryan_21

ThaSaltCracka
03-31-2004, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think its good to take time away but still think/read about poker?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have found this to be very effective for myself as well. Talking and thinking about cards, but not actually playing cards reinforces solid play. It also gives you the oppurtunity to notice any leaks you may have in your game as well.
I had a really bad streak of probably 3 weeks, stopped playing for 4-5 days, talked extensivley on here about hands that other people played and realized what I was doing wrong as well. The tourney gurus on here seem harsh but they really do know what they are talking about(expect the preflop limp with AA /images/graemlins/grin.gif). Don't fear saying something stupid when talking about someones hand. They will let you know if your thinking is wrong and why.
Very helpful IMO.... I may never buy another poker book ever again.

RcrdBoy
03-31-2004, 03:34 AM
Beyond taking time away (which is great advice), analyze your play.

If you have a database to track hands and play back hands, then do that. If you don't, then think about investing.

Bad cards happen. Sets get cracked. TPTK seems to never hold up. If you have pocket Kings some jagoff turns an A and wins calling two cold with A6o. Sometimes there was nothing you could have done to change that.

The important thing, for me, is figuring out if it's me (eg: being cute and giving away free cards, too much limping)or just a bad run of cards.

I can't do that honestly without reviewing my play.

FWIW.

Mike

byronkincaid
03-31-2004, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The other thing I am doing is replaying every tournament I play with the PP replayer. It is very helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you tell me how you do this please. Can you see the other players cards?

Thanks

La Brujita
03-31-2004, 10:52 AM
This is the link for the PP replayer:

http://teamfu.freeshell.org/replayer.html

At the end of a tourney PP asks you if you want a tourney summary. Click yes, then cut and paste into link.

If the hands were shown down you will see the other person's hand. You will also see the other person's hand in certain other situations, truth be told I have not been able to see the logic behind when PP lets you see the other person's hand.

The reason I find it is helpful is when you look at split second decisions in the cold light of day you will certainly find bad decisions (at least I almost always do). If those bad decisions form a pattern you may have found a leak.