PDA

View Full Version : Calling off my chips

Punker
03-30-2004, 04:29 PM
This comes about halfway through a party NL multi table tourney. Top 80 get paid, about 330 left. Blinds are 50-100 and I am on the button with 1925.

UTG (1845) raises to 200 and it is folded to cutoff (1040) who calls. I raise to 800 with A /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif and the blinds fold. UTG calls and the cutoff folds, leaving the pot at 1950.

Flop Q /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG goes all in for 1045, making the pot 2995 and leaving me to call or fold from my remaining stack of 1125.

Votes call or fold? Or play differently elsewhere?

M.B.E.
03-31-2004, 12:55 AM
Preflop you should either have smoothcalled or raised allin. When you raise to 800 and are called, you have to call any bet on later streets.

Che
03-31-2004, 01:56 AM
Punker-

I would normally raise this to about 1000 preflop, but that's over half your stack so I'd push in unless I thought one or more of these opponents would pay me off after the flop if I hit TPTK. If I think they'll make a loose call postflop with a weak A or K, I just call and then fold to pressure if the flop misses.

If I did find myself in your position postflop (two overcards and the nutflush draw, nearly 3:1 pot odds), I would call every time.

Che

45Player
03-31-2004, 06:09 AM
A pot sized raise pre-flop would be to about 1000, so if you’re going to raise then you should have gone all-in.
However I’m very wary of raising an UTG raiser with nearly half my stack when I have AK.
I would just call and make the big decision on the flop.

As it was played I would definitely call the all-in, the only hand he can have which is a big favourite over you is a set.

Stoneii
03-31-2004, 08:18 AM
What's he like in terms of previous raises?

With no reads and having called your preflop raise I put him on PP or AQ. Post flop he goes all-in suggesting he's protecting top pair from the flush draw, if he had QQ or better I would've expected to have been raised all-in preflop.

Therefore I wouldn't count both my overcards as valid outs as I lean toward AQ as his hand (maybe just count the Kings), but of course you have 9 outs from clubs giving nut flush.

I wouldn't read him either for 55 or 99 as a limp UTG here and hitting a set is big disguise, I stick with putting him on AQ.

If he has AQ then you are just an underdog and with 3-1 odds from pot then call. With a set against you I make you about a 3-1 dog so it's a lot closer.

To get deeper into tournie you need a stack so my waffle is a long winded way of saying I'd call him /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

G'Luck

stoneii

rbenuck4
03-31-2004, 11:42 AM
"As it was played I would definitely call the all-in, the only hand he can have which is a big favourite over you is a set."

Ummm, the hand that I'm really afraid of here is that he has a pair and the ace of clubs. Seems pretty reasonable for him to have AQ right here, in which case you are a big dog. I agree that you have to call this at this point, cause you are getting around 3 to 1 on your money, but I agree with the other posters that a smooth call or an all in preflop is a better decision.

45Player
03-31-2004, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems pretty reasonable for him to have AQ right here

[/ QUOTE ]
Well that means that he called a reraise with AQo out of position for over 1/3 of his stack. IMO that is not a reasonable play.

Punker
03-31-2004, 04:36 PM
I called, he had 99, and I missed.

I was fairly new to the table and didn't know much about anyone. I don't know if there's a need to go all in here; by raising to 800, I still leave myself a reasonable amount of chips if he calls and I don't like the flop (or he checks the flop and I want to jam, the bet still has some oomph to it). Flat calling sounds like an ok idea, but the presence of the other caller complicated that more than a bit. Obviously, I would prefer to take it down right there, but at least get it headsup.

M.B.E.
03-31-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ummm, the hand that I'm really afraid of here is that he has a pair and the ace of clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, we've got the ace of clubs.