PDA

View Full Version : He bet into me on the turn...

Schaefer
03-30-2004, 12:50 PM
PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero raises, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 calls, BB calls.

I like it so far. Flop the open ender with overcards although the Q isn't really ideal.

Turn: (4.70 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB bets....................

Well there's the queen! Here is the spot I want analysis. Against typical players, is a turn bet a bright neon sign that he made the straight? I want to know how you guys would proceed from here.

Schaefer

arkady
03-30-2004, 12:58 PM
He will have to a specific holding to make that str8, like K9 or 97 the kind that most wouldnt call a raise with, unless of course they are in the BB. While I normaly wouldnt, some are more than capable of calling a raise with K9s, I would also be worried about 2 pair and with the BB betting out...I would sigh a bit and toss it.

sthief09
03-30-2004, 01:18 PM
raise. you have 4 outs to a straight (2 to the nuts), 2 outs to trips (albeit potentially dirty outs), and 3 outs to aces-up (which I think will probably be good here). the pot is big enough that you want to make a move for it. you can't call because you want MP to fold. you have the A /images/graemlins/club.gif and Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif... a flush draw is going to call you, and you can make aces-up or trips without putting a 3-flush on the board.

raising also folds out MP if he has an ace, and even if it doesn't, you don't mind much if he calls because he is making a big mathematical mistake.

if you get 3-bet you call and then fold the river if you don't improve. I doubt this will happen because a pre-flop raiser may very well have AK.

a check-call followed by a bet doesn't convince me that you're beat, and even if you are, you have plenty of outs. it seems to me that BB could be making a move. raising gives you a likely free showdown as well.

the only argument I can see for folding is that this is a horrible board for BB to bet into without something big. just about anything you could've raised with potentially hits this board.

I expect to see QJ from the BB, but I think the combination of the possibility that you are ahead, with your many outs to improve, would make this a poor fold

me454555
03-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Raise the turn, check behind if you don't improve.

Louie Landale
03-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Judging from the other responses I must be a whoose.

This is a VERY dangerous board since it is GOING to hit almost all hands willing to call raises. It also tends to hit a bunch of raising hands like yours; and only the brain-dead opponents won't see that.

You can only THINK about calling if BB is particularly aggressive: the best you can hope for is that he's got QsAndTs and you have 7 questional outs. The worst is that he's got the straight and a club draw and the other player has a diamond draw; and you have 2 outs (Kings) assuming nobody has a K.

MAYBE he's got frisky with KQ or Jc7c and will check the river and let you win.

Yes, against typical players he's got a straight.

- Louie

JeffO
03-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Raise. Most BB who make a real hand here would most likely go for a check raise. Smells like a semibluff to me.

PokerBob
03-30-2004, 03:32 PM
I think the sign is brighter if you ger c/r'ed. He was in the BB and called a raise. Would he just call with AK? Perhaps. or 99? Probably. Would he call with K9, 9Ts or 89s against a small field? I doubt it, but this is where a good read helps.

I think just calling here is weak (but maybe smart) so I would raise and see how he reacts. He may very well be on AQ as well. If he plays back, I think you have to consider a fold, or at the very least a fold on the river.

beerbandit
03-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Not really an open-ender-----double gut-shot is more like. Equal amount of outs though; but only the top straight would be the nut. flop raise good---I also would bet this flop. Difficult to say if you have no reads on this player. eg Would he (just) call the preflop raise with those types of hands AK, 10 9

If he made the straight it seems he would c/r since you bet the flop. It's also possible that the made him a straight draw and top pair---QK

You may try to raise possible knocking out the late player who may be on a draw.

PokerNoob
03-30-2004, 04:20 PM
I think BB bets here if he doesn't want to get 3-bet by AK should he checkraise, but I don't think he bets unless he's better than TPTK. I don't think he's worried about giving you a free card. Maybe he's got a nine, or JT, or even TT or 88 that he intended to c/r the turn with until the Q hit.